Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on taking my GoPro on my trip to Glacier National Park and was wondering about the helmet mount. I have seen many people (usually sport bikes) with the GoPro mounted to their helmet. I'm wondering how secure this is and how much air resistance I can expect from it.
Has anyone here used a GoPro with a helmet mount? Were there any issues with it? Any other mounting suggestions?
Any input will be appreciated.

Kudu40

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Mount it to your crash bar. IMHO those mounted on a helmet look goofy.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree that they look goofy mounted on the helmet, but I cant aim the bike as easily as I can turn my head to get the shot I want. My ego isn't that fragile any more.

·
Administrator
10,486 Posts
Mine is mounted on top of the helmet , do look goo fay , but is a good spot , have ta adjust the angle a bit each time I mount it ..

JtB

·
Registered
14 Posts
Be careful with the crash bar mount. It gives a really nice video, but after days of riding i noticed my videos had a bit of a "wobble" to them. I stopped for the night at a hotel and touched the camera only to have it fall off in my hand. I guess the vibration weakened the the bracket to the point of failure. I will probably mount it on the engine guard again, but will definitely have some sort of a tether attached in case it were to break off. Having the camera mounted to the bike gives the most stable view as with the helmet mount you have a tendancy to look around alot giving your videos at times to much motion. I also have a mount on the front side of my windshield just above the wellnut screws which is also a cool perspective. Just my .02.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what you mean about too much motion but I really want to capture all the scenery. I have the GoPro editing app so I'm hoping I can edit the bad stuff out. Any experience with that?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I recommend the helmet top mount. You won't be going fast on Going to the Sun Road, the air resistance wasn't noticeable to me. The higher up vantage point and the ability to turn your camera are plusses. I have used a mount on the dash but that was very vibration-y. The crash bar is very low. Check out my GoPro top of the helmet mount video of Going to the Sun Road here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaSoihx6Bjo Video shot July 12, 2014

Also be aware of the road construction on the east end of the road, not in the mountain section. Quite a bit of gravel but it is passable if you're careful - and it is worth it for that ride!

Adobe Premier Elements is a very nice low cost video editing tool.

I surveyed 380 hot chicks and 97% said the GoPro on top of the helmet was sexy. (Note: they were very drunk - I should have GoPro'd the survey...) :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Be careful with the crash bar mount. It gives a really nice video, but after days of riding i noticed my videos had a bit of a "wobble" to them. I stopped for the night at a hotel and touched the camera only to have it fall off in my hand. I guess the vibration weakened the the bracket to the point of failure. I will probably mount it on the engine guard again, but will definitely have some sort of a tether attached in case it were to break off. Having the camera mounted to the bike gives the most stable view as with the helmet mount you have a tendancy to look around alot giving your videos at times to much motion. I also have a mount on the front side of my windshield just above the wellnut screws which is also a cool perspective. Just my .02.
X2 on the crash bar mount. A full day of riding( videos)in the Hill Country was lost when I down loaded the videos and discovered all but a few seconds here and there were viewable. What I have used since then is the GoPro suction mount, mounted on the fairing. Works great and know others that's had great results. I'm way curious and definitely considering helmet mount as I always see something off the road I want to capture.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I use the suction cup motor mount; it versatile and secure. Had the go-pro on the front fender at +85 mph with any problems. Like other have said the crash bar mount does come loose with vibration.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have used the GoPro top mount, crash bar mount, Handle bar mount, rear fender mount. An bar far the best in my opinion is the side helmet mount. I used the GoPro App on my iPhone to aim the camera and used a screwdriver to snug up the screws so the camera wouldn't move. Wind noise is not really a prob. Here is a little video I made riding The Back of the dragon in VA. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlybiuRgXXI&list=UU9HpitREctij3o7rZQ7LmgQ

·
Registered
242 Posts
(1) I lost a GoPro summer of 2012 when the mount failed. I wasn't smart enough to check it. Gone somewhere in west Texas. Be careful with those. if you really want the crash bar look, I found a great mount at www.utvinc.com. Less vibration, and it ain't gonna break.

(2) Yes, you look like a dork with the helmet mount, but you get much better video. As you said, you can turn your head some while keeping your eyes ahead and record much more of the scenery. As far as wind resistance, I just finished an 8500 mile trip with the GoPro on my head the entire time. Terrible wind in South Dakota, but the camera never bothered me.

(3) The mount is rock solid. I've had the same mount on my helmet for over a year, and the adhesive is still holding. I use the tether, too (lose one, shame on GoPro… lose two, shame on me) but have never needed the tether. Better safe than sorry.

(4) When not traveling, I take the camera and mount off but leave the adhesive part on the helmet. Easy on, easy off that way.

(5) The sound on my videos is awful. So I use music on the video with no natural sound. The video by sportyguy69 sound AWESOME! What back are you using on the camera? Is it the open back that is letting more sound in? I have to try whatever you are using. By the way, I've never tried the side helmet mount. Can you still get good video of scenery on the left side of the road?

(6) If you want to see a direct comparison of helmet vs. crash bar mount, compare sporty guy's video to mine on BOTD at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvB7H4YlDFU. To each his own, but I like the helmet perspective much better.

That's my $.06 worth. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
posted this in the other GoPro thread in here:

I have mine attached to the crash bar (engine guard for you technical folks). you can see the mount here, just above my shoe.

here are some quick 15 second videos I uploaded to instagram. I have the GoPro app on my iphone, so i can save the video to my iphone as soon as I shoot it.
http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfp1/t50.2886-16/10461009_738756156168044_1995943355_n.mp4
http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpf1/t50.2886-16/10322345_757585320952387_1152381218_n.mp4

and heres a gratuitous selfie shot with my goPro in WV after I picked up the Road Glide Flag from Tracy

·
Registered
156 Posts
GoPro

I have used both the crash bar mount and the helmet mount. I use the clamp for the crash bar. It works very well, has always seemed secure to me. Gives a good perspective of the road and the suspension work. You can get more road noise from this but also get engine/exhaust/stereo noise which can be interesting.

I also use the helmet mount, have never had a problem and have used it up to 100 mph. Ya, it looks goofy, but the perspective for viewers watching the vid is much better. You need to be aware that if you are filming you try not to make jerky movements and I try to find places I can move my head around to catch the scenery. I also like to have riders pass by so I can get a good flyby.

Check out my two shorter videos of a Hideaway run for comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrPQK63XCy7A--pcAF4oVyw

1 - 15 of 15 Posts