Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a handlebar install, I took the ignition out without the key, couldn't get it back together, now it's together, forks locked, but switch turns to all positions, nothing electric comes on, even in on position..

Watched a youtube video, saw how to use the button underneath and the key, no joy. Nothing is working to get the switch back out, key, no key, button, no button. Forks are locked. Can't even push it onto a trailer and take it to the dealer.

Any ideas? Anyone in the Hill Country want to make some money?

Greg

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Doing a handlebar install, I took the ignition out without the key, couldn't get it back together, now it's together, forks locked, but switch turns to all positions, nothing electric comes on, even in on position..

Watched a youtube video, saw how to use the button underneath and the key, no joy. Nothing is working to get the switch back out, key, no key, button, no button. Forks are locked. Can't even push it onto a trailer and take it to the dealer.

Any ideas? Anyone in the Hill Country want to make some money?

Greg
Push the button up and stick the key in. Just play with it. You didn't mess anything up. once you get the ignition out ,you will need to line up the tumbler then follow the video on you tube. To line up tumbler use big flat head screw driver or make a tool. A post on this site shows ya how.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks, been playing with it for three hours now.

One thing I thought might be wrong when trying to put it back together was the nut that screws on. It was finger tight when I first took it apart, now I'm thinking it has rotated some and is no longer in a position to allow the switch to come out.

Talk about feeling BAAAAAD.

I managed to get the wild1 mini apes on ok, they look good. Can't turn the handle bars to see how they feel. Cant get power on to see if wires are ok. Just sitting there, looking at my $25,000 door stop.....

Greg

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Don't forget ,if your forks are locked ,try pushing the key down and to the left in the ignition, then rotating the whole ignition to the left and removing. I'd bet you got the tumbler mixed up. is this the video your watching ?

It's easy to fix once you understand how it works.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Try taking some pressure off the bars while thier locked, in other words pull on the right handle grip or push the left away from the lock postion and fiddle with the key and ignition switch. Some time with the pressure off the lock positon it will pop.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes on the video.

yes on making sure the fork lock is not binding, wiggle forks, wiggle switch, wiggle key, push button, wiggle my ass.

Aint had a cigarette sine 2007, bout ready to go buy some.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
what year bike ?

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
If you got your tumbler mixed up the lock wont come up in the lock position . It will come up in an other position. Make sure the key is to the left and push down on the key and turn even more to the left . Just a little past the lock position. (Only does this if the key is being pushed down) . Then push up on the button underneath and the whole ignition should pull out in one of the positions. actually when you go to the left past the lock position ,that should pull the button up. Its been awhile sense I had it apart

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
photos of the chubbys and the switch.
Turn your ignition all the way to the lock position. Make sure the key is to the left and push down on the key and turn even more to the left . Just a little past the lock position on the ignition. (Only does this if the key is being pushed down) . This will pull the detap up under the ignition releasing the whole ignition for removal .

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, the switch will turn to all positions, and there are the detents or clicks in each position.

Basically, the button stays in the up, or depressed position unless I turn the switch to the lock position, and turn the key from unlock to lock, then the button pops back into the down or out position and I cannot turn the switch.

Put key back in, wont turn to unlock. Press up on button and turn key to unlock. Switch is now unlocked, but key wont come out, and switch wont come out, forks remain locked in all positions, and no power comes on in any positions.

Greg

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Turn your ignition all the way to the lock position. Make sure the key is to the left and push down on the key and turn even more to the left . Just a little past the lock position on the ignition. (Only does this if the key is being pushed down) . This will pull the detap up under the ignition releasing the whole ignition for removal .
Pushed down on key and switch and tried to turn to the left past locked, no movement past locked.key does not move up and down in the lock, only turns a little and there is significant resistance to turning the key. Switch turns to all position and feels normal as it is moving. Button remains in th eunlocked position.

I thing the locking nut, the last one installed before the spring goes on, has turned.

Greg

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okay, got it out.

I put a flat bladed screwdriver under it and pried it up gently and it came out.

whew.

Major thanks to everyone. Now to get the lugs aligned and drop it back in.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
I don't believe the nut has anything to do with this problem . I need to leave for a couple of hours, if you can't figure it out by the time I return I'll pm ya my number and I'll walk ya trough it. It seems like your just missing one little step.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Take a flashlight and look down the hole where the ignition came out. Before you put the switch back in take a large flathead screwdriver and make sure the tumblers are lined up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got it out and am able to insert and remove at will now that I know how.

On to the next handlebar issue, bike won't start, no right turn signal.

Radio cpontrols work on both side. Double checked wire color codes. Ok there.

Gonna take a break, go eat, cool off some, getting hot here.

Thanks again Big Gary. I may still need help getting it aligned properly, if that's why it wont start. Got power, left turn works, no brake light fron grop, no right turn, but I can change mode and channel on radio from right side.

Greg

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Your ignition lock has nothing to do with the bike not starting , besides being a handle/lock its the same as sticking a screw driver in there. Like the tool the guy used in the video , you can use a big flat head screw driver to start the bike. If your not carefull , you can lose track what position your in. Thats were the tool makes scense. The actual switch has no stop on it and it will just keep turning.

Sounds to me like you got wire problems inside the bars or at the controls.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts