Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
I read about the new speed limit on that road. What is it, about a 40 mile stretch of 80mph? I'm curious to know what sort of average speed you observed of traffic in the right lane?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's about a 45 mile stretch from near Buda, TX to Georgetown that closely parallels I-35 from the east. I only rode it from 290 in Austin to its north end near Georgetown.

Most of the traffic I rode with ran right at 80; a few above. I noticed several cages cruising about 70 though.

I-35 and I-45 from between Dallas and Houston and Dallas and Austin both have long stretches of 75MPH speed limits. Still, most cages max out around 70.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I came through TX on the 20 and then the 10 on my way to Cali from VA. Awesome shit. Cruise on my SUV set on 80 with two bikes inside an enclosed trailer :D

·
Super Moderator
2,871 Posts
Is that sign upside down?:p

Those who depart SW III on the 15 going north will see 80 mph speed limits too. West is best!;)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Out in the western part of the state we have 80mph limits on I-10 and I-20. We also have 75mph on single lane country roads as well.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It's 85 on I-10 from Junction almost all the way to El Paso. Great for getting a quick Ironbutt certification.

TX 130 is a great new highway but a lot of us Texans are pissed about it. It was supposed to be a free road to alleviate congestion through Austin on I-35, the deadliest stretch of the interstate that runs from the Mexican border all the way north of Minneapolis. 130 had been a concept ever since NAFTA was signed off 20 years ago.

A lot of people (myself included) have refused to use 130 and the other tollways. Paying to drive across Texas is just WRONG! And despite my support for Governor Perry, he allowed a French group to design and build the SOB.

I'll tell you what though. They got that MF'er done in 25% of the time it would have taken the state and federal gubmitt pukes to do it. Free enterprise reigns over government regs every time.

Now that I have an Ultra and a stealth license plate I occasionally ride 130, because I-35 through Austin is STILL a major PITA.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Paying to drive across Texas is just WRONG! And despite my support for Governor Perry, he allowed a French group to design and build the SOB.
I hear ya! 121 and its expansion north of Dallas were paid for with taxes years ago. Perry turned it into a tollway. The booths and sensors were installed and ready, but Perry suspended the tolls until after his last re-election bid.

·
Registered
955 Posts
This 85 mph stretch is between Austin and San Antonio. You know, because people in those cities need to go between them REAL FAST!

Reclaiming the Title of Fastest in the Land

Sadly, going south on 35 you almost never leave "city". Wasn't that long ago you'd have 20 miles between any town of substantial population. You'd go through San Marcos then 20 more miles to New Braunfels then 20 more to the northern and still rural reaches of SA. Nothing but rolling hills, cows and cornfields in those stretches. Now it SUCKS!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sadly, going south on 35 you almost never leave "city". Wasn't that long ago you'd have 20 miles between any town of substantial population. You'd go through San Marcos then 20 more miles to New Braunfels then 20 more to the northern and still rural reaches of SA. Nothing but rolling hills, cows and cornfields in those stretches. Now it SUCKS!
Maybe you can get up to 85 mph between midnight and 5am ;)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Pardon my rants. y'all. Can ya tell I'm tired of being a city boy? Once my working days are over and I'm no longer a slave to convenience, I'm moving out to the hills- far enough from Austin and SA that their tentacles will not reach me in my lifetime.

And I ain't tellin' where that place is cuz I don't want anyone beating me to it! lol

Texas is home, I love it here. Just wish people would stop moving here!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I hear ya! 121 and its expansion north of Dallas were paid for with taxes years ago. Perry turned it into a tollway. The booths and sensors were installed and ready, but Perry suspended the tolls until after his last re-election bid.
Kind of the opposite type of waste, Houston's red light cameras were installed all over town then voted out and shut down.

**Not that I want red light cameras. I don't run red lights but I just generally don't like the idea of cameras. Just ridiculous that it was done in the first place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts