Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look for a little help when it comes to GPS for my RG. We usually travel with a map, and have loved it since day one. I’ve been tempted to get a GPS unit, but don’t want to always take the quickest shortest route. I’d like to have one that allows me to plot a course on my computer then upload to the unit, but I have ZERO knowledge of these units. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You can get fancy or keep it simple with a gps. I prefer it to a map because it's easier to follow while I'm riding or driving and, most importantly, will always get me back on the right course. Even if I deviate from the course on purpose and want to do a little exploring. As long as I have a destination programmed then I'll always be aware of the general direction I should be heading.

If you want to get fancy you can plot out your whole trip on the computer with Google maps and then download it to the gps. No matter how complicated the route might be. The concept is that everything between the start and end points are put in as waypoints. There are a bunch of websites that can help you, especially for garmins

If you want to keep it simple then you can just use the gps to get you to a point on the route that you've picked on your paper map. When you're there you plug in the next point, and so on. Again, the unit can just be used as a backup to keep you on a general course towards your final destination.

As far as the actual gps unit goes, I prefer regular garmin nuvi's. They're a lot less money than the motorcycle specific ones and you can get a weatherproof cover and clamp for about $25.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Garmin has some great weather proof, glove friendly GPS units. They have a desktop app, Base Camp, that will let you get as creative as you want with the routing and then upload it to the unit. As mentioned above it's particularly good for getting back to your planned route after a detour or just getting back to your hotel after a wander around an unfamiliar town looking for a good place to eat.

I have a Zumo 590 which also has the ability to get weather and traffic on the unit. It's pricey but I, for the most part, really like it. There are much less expensive units available as well. I have mine wired into the switched connection under the seat so when I turn on the ignition the unit powers up.

While GPS units are great, having a good set of maps along is always a good backup should something go wrong.

Good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
23 Posts
How do the garmin nuvi's screen perform in the sunlight? My iphone screen will wash out in bright sunlight.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have the Zumo 660. It works if you just punch in an address, but you can also use BaseCamp to lay out a detailed custom route and then upload it. It's not cheap, but it's completely waterproof. I have used mine now for over 2 years, been through hours of downpours with no issues. I mounted mine with the harley handlebar mount, and have been able to adjust it so that I can see it well in the majority of sun conditions

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
This year while out on my 8000 mile journey over a month period, my old garmin started acting up. I stopped at Walmart, bought a 6" screen garmin for $94. I already had a mount so I just hooked it up. I can't believe how much they give you for that price. It works great, warns you onscreen of upcoming turns and how far up the next turn is. You actually don't even need to hear the voice on it. I think I paid something like $600 for my first one in 2006. I had talked to Garmin about their ability to withstand rain. He told me all the gamins will stand the test of dropping it in a 5 gallon bucket of water an reaching in and picking it out of it. I have ridden in downpours as I did twice on this last trip and the garmin never skipped a beat. Got to love it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm a big fan of Garmin GPS.
I have an older Zumo 550 that I've had since 2006. It has over 70k on it
and that's just on the bike. Recently replaced the display.
I've been looking @ the Zumo 590LM. As soon as I have the funds I'm going to sell
the 550. I'm about half way there.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Got my 590lm couple weeks ago. Love it. Twisting road feature and weather and live traffic is a plus. TPMS caps are on the way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm a big fan of Garmin GPS.
I have an older Zumo 550 that I've had since 2006. It has over 70k on it
and that's just on the bike. Recently replaced the display.
I've been looking @ the Zumo 590LM. As soon as I have the funds I'm going to sell
the 550. I'm about half way there.
I have the same model, the 550, and it's been around since 2004 or 2005. I've used it on 4 different bikes now and absolutely swear by it. The best part is creating your own routes for long distances so you can avoid what you want to and see different roadside attractions. last year it finally gave out, no power to screen, so I sent it back to Zumo and for about $100 received a completely refurbished one. Apparently they stopped production of the 550 which is a shame as I really like it. However resale seems to be through the roof. I've seen used ones go for more than I paid for mine new, although that was some years ago.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the same model, the 550, and it's been around since 2004 or 2005. I've used it on 4 different bikes now and absolutely swear by it. The best part is creating your own routes for long distances so you can avoid what you want to and see different roadside attractions. last year it finally gave out, no power to screen, so I sent it back to Zumo and for about $100 received a completely refurbished one. Apparently they stopped production of the 550 which is a shame as I really like it. However resale seems to be through the roof. I've seen used ones go for more than I paid for mine new, although that was some years ago.
They no longer repair the Zumo 450 or 550 as of last September I think. I tried early this year. For another kick in the ass I wanted to update the maps in my Kenwood head unit and they no longer offer updates for the DNX8120 so I'm stuck with the maps from 2008.:(

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have used the Tom Tom Rider for several years in all kinds of weather. The v5 is almost half the price of the Garmin Zumo 660 and a lot easier to use, even with your gloves on! The sun-shade actually works and with the blutooth device you can hook up your cell-phone.
Yes, the Garmin Zumo is also very nice but I believe you get more bang for your buck when buying a TT Rider and even better is the Life Time map support. It's listed on amazon for $ 299.00.
The all new TT Rider 400 is another option, albeit with a price-tag close to a Garmin I probably would go for the latter. IMHO

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
How do the garmin nuvi's screen perform in the sunlight? My iphone screen will wash out in bright sunlight.
They all will wash out in bright sunlight, not much you can do. For certain models you can get a shade cover, but if the sun as at the right angle, its going to get in, cover or not.

I've just gotten used to briefly holding my hand over it to shade it out so I can see it for a second or two.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you want to get fancy you can plot out your whole trip on the computer with Google maps and then download it to the gps. No matter how complicated the route might be. The concept is that everything between the start and end points are put in as waypoints. There are a bunch of websites that can help you, especially for garmins

You can no longer download routes planned on Google Maps to the Garmin units. I have used Garmin for years and always found Google Maps easier to plan routes than the MapSource or BaseCamp software that Garmin provides.

So on our recent trip to Arkansas, I tried to download a route from Google Maps and found the feature missing. After tearing up the internet, I found that Google and MapQuest are locking this feature out because they are selling software that can be downloaded to Android/Apple devices that compete with Garmin. The downside to using a phone is that the routing doesn't work if you don't have a signal and that is where I prefer to ride!

So I used BaseCamp to plan my route. What used to take 15 minutes to plan 5 days of riding turned into 5 hours due to the learning curve of the software. Hopefully, the next ride planning to Hill Country in a couple of weeks will take less time to setup the routes.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I mostly use my GPS (Garmin660) to get me home, and to see the twisties ahead. Last weekend the wife and I picked a direction, and just started randomly picking 2 lane blacktops. There were times where we didn't have a clue as to where we were. After about 350 miles, I tapped the go home icon. :nerd:

If we're doing a trip, I use TyreToTravel - and dump the route into the Garmin. That way I can enjoy the trip without having to think about the route.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
So I used BaseCamp to plan my route. What used to take 15 minutes to plan 5 days of riding turned into 5 hours due to the learning curve of the software. Hopefully, the next ride planning to Hill Country in a couple of weeks will take less time to setup the routes.

UGH!! Basecrap is a pain in the ass, like using a CNC machine to drill a single hole, or a CAD program to draw a straight line on a note pad.

Harley's Ride Planner is perfectly useable and FAR easier to use than anything else I've found. It's missing a few "features" that some think are needed, but it has taken me back and forth across the country several times without issue.

Give it a try, PM me if you run into issues.

Here's a good tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4BorHK1Vak&index=5&list=FL3RW0M8B5gCySWFPfGJp3Dg

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can get fancy or keep it simple with a gps. I prefer it to a map because it's easier to follow while I'm riding or driving and, most importantly, will always get me back on the right course. Even if I deviate from the course on purpose and want to do a little exploring. As long as I have a destination programmed then I'll always be aware of the general direction I should be headiIf you want to get fancy you can plot out your whole trip on the computer with Google maps and then download it to the gps. No matter how complicated the route might be. The concept is that everything between the start and end points are put in as waypoints. There are a bunch of websites that can help you, especially for garmins

I use a map to plot out my course, and do like he says..Put first stop on My Cel phone, and while taking a break at that stop, add next stop, and so on.. If the going gets screwed up too bad, I pull out the map on the next stop and refigure..

·
Registered
77 Posts
There are other options to iPhone.. I use my Samsung and love it.. I use Waze which is interactive.. though a signal is needed for that as it "tlaks" to home frequently. it Shows Speed and Red light camera positions, real time Police position all given by riders that passed there before you.. can be gotten for IOS and Droid devices.

WHat I like about my samsung is that it has a Satellite chip installed so I do not need to have a "cell" signal.. it can work like a conventional GPS.. I can download the maps to any or all of US or other countries onto my memory card..

with my older bike I had it installed on my 7" nexus.. worked like a charm plus all the benefits or a "smart device"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts