Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife says she will buy me a GPS for Christmas so I'm trying to determine which one to purchase.

I look on the zumo website and they list a 390lm but I see a lot of retailers selling a 350lm. Can someone please tell me the difference?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Just get an iPhone with Google maps and plug into aux and it gives directions through the speakers. I carry a GPS now as a back up to my phone.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'll check that link out. As for the phone, that's what I use now but I hate worrying about weather. The plastic bag thing got old real quick since I do a lot of touring.

My next question is can you save rides from Harley ride planner onto an sd card and load them into the zumo? For instance, I'm doing a 10 day ride this coming year, can I load 10 files onto the sd and load each file every day of travel?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stag556, check out this link it compares the 390LM with the 350LM.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.
http://www.gpscity.com/compare/zumo390lm&zumo350lm
It appears as though they are both the exact same thing minus the 390 having Bluetooth for phone calls. The other difference being the 350 has an audio out, which according to the comparison, the 390 does not. I would want that so voice commands can go through the stereo.

Is the 350 discontinued? I don't see it on the zumo site.

I apologize for all the questions, want to get all the facts straight from people who have them before making a big purchase.

·
Administrator
10,477 Posts
My next question is can you save rides from Harley ride planner onto an sd card and load them into the zumo? For instance, I'm doing a 10 day ride this coming year, can I load 10 files onto the sd and load each file every day of travel?

Yes , may have to load with the card in the unit though

JtB

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don't know about that particular model, but I have the 660 and LOVE IT. I just switched from the Garmin to the Harley version so I could get it to interface with my stereo. Rode in over 7 hours of rain straight one day with the Garmin with no issues. I don't use Harley ride planner. I hate it. I use Garmin Mapsource, but yes, you can upload custom routes.

·
Administrator
10,477 Posts
I have the Harley version of the 550 , and love it , just don't expect the ETA to be correct , and I dread the day that mapsource no longer works , it's coming I'm sure and BaseCamp sucks

JtB

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have the Harley version of the 550 , and love it , just don't expect the ETA to be correct , and I dread the day that mapsource no longer works , it's coming I'm sure and BaseCamp sucks

JtB
I too am dreading that day. I even went to the length of installing basecamp to trick my computer into "upgrading" to mapsource. Basecamp is worthless.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Have a Gamin 660 for the waterproof feature. Tried smart phone but when you need the GPS the most is when your somewhere your not familiar with. So now if riding and it rains I don't need to hide my navigation.

·
Registered
505 Posts

JtB
Once you get over the data/file differences between the 2, Basecamp might surprise you. Personally, I wouldn't go back to using Mapsource, I much prefer Basecamp. Here's a link to a forum at Delphi that contains lots of Basecamp info, for anyone looking to learn.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/GarminBasecamp

I've got 2 Garmin 550's (not the Harley version) and really like them. If I ever sell the bike, I will have a motorcycle 550 mount for sale. This one is also mated to a Touratech mount that's lockable.

·
Registered
805 Posts
550 zumo got me around the country 4 times so far. You must use an SD card large enough to hold the new maps and your music though. The 550 internal memory isn't large enough to hold the larger US mapping. Wouldn't use anything else! Just feed the mount from the MC battery, plug into the radio AUX and off you go.

·
Registered
123 Posts
550 zumo got me around the country 4 times so far. You must use an SD card large enough to hold the new maps and your music though. The 550 internal memory isn't large enough to hold the larger US mapping. Wouldn't use anything else! Just feed the mount from the MC battery, plug into the radio AUX and off you go.
However, the 550 does not record your path if you are charting a new course. I have a 1390 in a Ram clutch mount. Had couple 2-300 mile trips in the rain protected both with a thick bag that fits tightly over the entire system. Just upgraded to 8GB SD card. about $200 invested, not $1,000.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, the choice is between the Harley GPS or the 350lm.

I guess it boils down to this.... Being that I use harley ride planner 99% of the time.... Can I download each days ride file to an sd card, having ten different ride files on the card, insert it into the 350lm an load each map for the day?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Based on the Garmin web site, you should be able to do that. I've never used the Harley Ride Planner but have heard other guys talk about using it like that on other units.

Best site on the web for info on Zumo unit is below. You'll find people there that have the units you're talking about with 1st hand info.

http://www.zumoforums.com/

1 - 20 of 26 Posts