Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm over 60 and still take long road trips on my FLTRX.
So there's folks often on both ends that are concerned about my trip progress and they know I'm not answering the phone at interstate speeds.
So I researched GPS Tracking, and there are apps that will track your smartphone. I can always "Find My iPhone" if it's lost or stolen and I'm more concerned with my bike being stolen than tracking the iPhone generally in my pocket.

So I bought a Spytec GL 300 GPS unit. The product reviews are practically a reality show with accounts of cheating spouses and lovers, and sleuthing of the betrayed to uncover the truth.

No drama, here. Just prefer to track my bike and send a link to interested parties to allow them to track my trip progress. In the car, I have used Waze, but I'm not a big fan - interaction is not a priority. I find it distracting and that's what I'm eliminating with GPS Tracking.

The Spytec is charged using a USB plug - the older variety seen on cell phones a few years back.
So, I bought a 12 vdc to USB plug obtainable dirt cheap at any discount or auto parts store.
This is hardwired to the ACCESSORY power rocker on the FLTRX. It will continuously charge the GPS module whenever I'm riding.
The module lives in the front fairing.
The unit has 30 second reporting and uses T Mobile cell towers. If you're not in range, it reports historically when it does come in range of a tower.
So at highway speeds, it updates about every half mile. If the bike is off, the GPS internal battery will power reporting for up to two weeks - and that's my theft protection I would not have using cell phone tracking. If hardwired to the battery, it would report until the bike's battery is dead. There are ignition switch wires available for that. When I stop for gas or food, the unit reports a stop.

I do get a small discount on insurance by installing the GPS Tracker. It is not enough to cover the $25 a month service fee. But my bike is the way I want it - I do not want to write of "new bike blues" or "is this under warranty if I do X". I like my bike the way it is. Hopped up Twin Cam, paid cash, nasty pipes, bought as a low mileage garage queen for cheap. I have a great mechanic who has been over it inside and out.

Everybody is a double naught spy these days and the surveillance state already tracks my SunPass Toll module - the NSA can track your iPhone like Osama's courier.
I'm ex Military, had a security clearance, employed in the Nuclear Power field, the government has a file on me as thick as a phone book.
I just wanted to expand that to my friends and family with a bit of added bike security.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I use one of those in the trailer I made to carry my pups in. I tuck it in nice and deep so if anyone got wise I can track unbeknownst to them.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,075 Posts
Sounds great for the purpose you bought it for, but I just don't want another new way that the Feds can track my actions (not to mention another $25/month subscription cost). I rather enjoy not having anyone knowing my minute by minute travels. To each their own.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have insurance if my bike is stolen. No need to track it because I can always get another bike. I do use a Spot tracker when I am on a long bike tour so my family and friends can track my progress. Because it is satellite based no problem with loss of cell signal. I also keep it attached to a belt loop so if I go down it is on me and not the bike. That way if I am alert I can push the SOS button for emergency services if need be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts