Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have GPS tracking on their bike? I hate leaving bike out of sight at hotels. My travel cover doesn't cover the whole bike, so a lot of the bike is exposed.
I'm sure there is a subscription costs with most. I tried the key fob alarm thing but never got it to work.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was actually just discussing this same topic earlier.

LoJack no longer makes a setup for motorcycles. They say they are in a "re-evaluation phase" and that they may decide to go into production again in the future, but they aren't sure.

I am going to look into this device a little further:

The Spot Trace

It looks to be designed for tracking your position on trips and whatnot, but it should work for tracking your ride in the even that it is stolen and mobile.

I don't know too much about it yet, as I just found out about it earlier. The only thing I know is that it can run off of batteries or be hard wired into the bike and that, unlike LoJack, you do not need a police report on file to start the search as it will communicate with your phone or designated device in the time intervals that you have it set to.

May be worth checking more into. I am going look into it further when I have a little more time.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I have a Spot Connect and can vouch for the company's customer service. The Trace is designed specifically for a bike application. You can't hide it too well as it needs a view of the sky unobstructed by metal. Inside a saddle bag or tour pak lid would do nicely. You have to pay for a monthly or annual service plan, but that's the case with any monitored service.

I am going to look into this device a little further:

The Spot Trace

May be worth checking more into. I am going look into it further when I have a little more time.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Full coverage insurance, cell phone, credit card. The bike is old, nothing on it can't be replaced, the insurance settlement will be way better than I can get by selling it or trading it in. If someone decides they like it more than me I'll simply get a ride to the nearest dealer and ride something else home, Momma wants a new CVO anyway.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I ride almost exclusively two up, with my wife on cross country trips.

When we park in a sketchy area overnight, I leave my iPhone under the liner in the Tour Pac. I have a plug back there, and a charger, so it stays charged.

The plan is to use the Find My iPhone app if the bike mysteriously disappears. I'll use my wife's iPhone, or my Mac that's in the room. Even if they find the hidden phone, it has value too, so they'd probably keep it as a bonus.

Find the phone, find the thieves, find the bike. Free, and no subscription...

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I use the low budget method. Bought a burner phone from Walmart and a lowest minute card. Activated the phone, made sure location services are activated, wired to my aux power under the seat and zip tied to the frame behind the side cover. As long as there's cell coverage, I know where my bike is. If they pull the battery, the cell stays on via its internal battery for a couple days. Not 100% effective but better than nothing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
700 Posts
We use the spot trace offshore to track all our boats. They work well under abs like Shrug suggest in a saddle bag or TourPak.

The charged battery will last at least a week probably 2 weeks, so no need to wire it in if you prefer not to.

I've used one on a bike trip alone so the wifey could track me via their website service, if you don't mind that kind of thing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
:) I have the Bike Trac device from Road Angel. (www.roadangelgroup.com).
Although this covers England and Europe, I'm sure they will have a USA outlet, as it only needs a sim card to work.
I had this installed on my 2011 RG and had it moved to my new 2015 RG CVO Ultra. It fits under the seat, size of cigarette packet.
Works 24hr. Notifies you via txt and email bike is moved without the ignition being switched on. This alarm is also monitored 24/7 by security company who will phone if there is movement. There is also an alarm sent to nominated numbers if biker down situation.
Service is excellent.
This has GPS so you can review your trips, show speed and locations. Also if you give access details to family, they can monitor your progress as well.

Helps me sleep better when travelling around Europe, off to Poland via Berlin in 3 weeks.

Suggest you email them and enquire.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have a Spot Connect and can vouch for the company's customer service. The Trace is designed specifically for a bike application. You can't hide it too well as it needs a view of the sky unobstructed by metal. Inside a saddle bag or tour pak lid would do nicely. You have to pay for a monthly or annual service plan, but that's the case with any monitored service.
Hey Shrug,
Did you use this service on alaskapade?

·
Registered
33 Posts
:) The 'finditnowusa' product has exactly the same service as my Bike Trac device.
suggest you make further enquires. Bike trac cost me around $200 USD to purchase, plus $1 per week monitoring fee. 10% insurance reduction and supported by HD (UK). (this bit was important as not wanting to affect my warranty.)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Full coverage insurance, cell phone, credit card. The bike is old, nothing on it can't be replaced, the insurance settlement will be way better than I can get by selling it or trading it in. If someone decides they like it more than me I'll simply get a ride to the nearest dealer and ride something else home, Momma wants a new CVO anyway.
+ 1 on insurance,just finished a 1800 mile trip,never covered my bike at the motel,just kept the bags,tour pac and front end locked with a disc lock on it,made sure i had air fare in case it came up missing.

·
Registered
273 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.