Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that like myself, lots of riders think the 2017 & 2018 GPS/boombox is a POS, especially in the GPS compartment.
I've owned a bike friendly Garmin for about 6-7 years now and plan to continue to use them until/if HD gets up to speed in that department.
Anyway, Garmin has both of their motorcycle GPSs on sale for $100.00 off the normal price. The Zumo 396 LMTS is 299.99 and the Zumo 595 LM is 599.99. My 660 is getting old and gives me a little trouble from time to time so after reading the specs on the 396, I decided to buy it.
The latest and greatest is that it automatically down loads new maps and upgrades when it is turned on and near a wifi source. It couples with your phone and will play Pandora or any streaming music service. It still has the miles to empty function, if you set it each time you fill up, plus it now holds some of your maintenance history for your bike. Too many features to go into here and I am not getting paid by Garmin so if you need a GPS, might want to take a look at their offerings.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I'm sure that like myself, lots of riders think the 2017 & 2018 GPS/boombox is a POS, especially in the GPS compartment.
I've owned a bike friendly Garmin for about 6-7 years now and plan to continue to use them until/if HD gets up to speed in that department.
Anyway, Garmin has both of their motorcycle GPSs on sale for $100.00 off the normal price. The Zumo 396 LMTS is 299.99 and the Zumo 595 LM is 599.99. My 660 is getting old and gives me a little trouble from time to time so after reading the specs on the 396, I decided to buy it.
The latest and greatest is that it automatically down loads new maps and upgrades when it is turned on and near a wifi source. It couples with your phone and will play Pandora or any streaming music service. It still has the miles to empty function, if you set it each time you fill up, plus it now holds some of your maintenance history for your bike. Too many features to go into here and I am not getting paid by Garmin so if you need a GPS, might want to take a look at their offerings.
Thanks for the post.

My 660 is still going strong and I have mounts for multiple bikes. Do the new ones use the same mount? If not, I will use the 660 until it dies, and then send it back to Garmin for a refurb or trade in.

The HD GPS works fine for me if I plan the route and load it, but I mostly just use it to display the map so I can read the street names long before I am close enough to read the street sign, and display my current speed so I don't have to look down at the speedo, and the current temperature because I am interested in that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Twowheel
I don't know yet if the mounts are the same as my new one hasn't arrived yet...Should be here by Saturday and I will let you know about the mount. I bought a new 660 and for a couple of years it worked well until I tried to update it through Garmin. It would not load and Garmin ask me to send it back and I did. They sent me a refurbished unit with a 30 day guarantee...It works well enough but sometimes looses map data. It eventually comes back but I just don't trust it anymore.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Twowheel
I don't know yet if the mounts are the same as my new one hasn't arrived yet...Should be here by Saturday and I will let you know about the mount. I bought a new 660 and for a couple of years it worked well until I tried to update it through Garmin. It would not load and Garmin ask me to send it back and I did. They sent me a refurbished unit with a 30 day guarantee...It works well enough but sometimes looses map data. It eventually comes back but I just don't trust it anymore.
Not sure what type of mount you are looking for but I personally run the Iron Aces Mount on my Glide and love it. It positions the GPS above the speed / tach gauges and is super easy to install and is compatible with most any device cradle. I use my GoogleMaps on my iPhone X as my GPS system and it works great too.

https://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/product/rushmore-road-glide-mount-harley-davidson/

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Not sure what type of mount you are looking for but I personally run the Iron Aces Mount on my Glide and love it. It positions the GPS above the speed / tach gauges and is super easy to install and is compatible with most any device cradle. I use my GoogleMaps on my iPhone X as my GPS system and it works great too.

https://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/product/rushmore-road-glide-mount-harley-davidson/
That's cool. I am talking about the mount that provides electricity to the GPS.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
their instructions state that you can't use a phone that is in a protective case, which doesn't make much sense to me since the phone is being used in a possibl harsh outside environment.

are you using a case on yours?

after looking at the way it's built i'm thinking you could fab up an aluminum bracket and mount it to the speedo/tach housing in a similar manner. but i'm just a cheapskate lol

·
Registered
609 Posts
That's cool. I am talking about the mount that provides electricity to the GPS.
Thanks for the photo, that GPS mount cradle is compatible on the Iron Aces Mount. I used to use a 660 that had a similar cradle.

their instructions state that you can't use a phone that is in a protective case, which doesn't make much sense to me since the phone is being used in a possibl harsh outside environment.

are you using a case on yours?
The Iron Aces Mount is compatible with any device cradle. It's only the iPhone 6+ cradle that they personally offer that is not compatible with a protective case. I use a SlipGrip cradle on my bike for my iPhone X with an Otterbox Defender Case (link below). it installs directly to the Iron Aces Mount.

Please Select Your SlipGrip Holder

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GPS Mount

Two wheel
The new mounts are not the same as the 660/665 mounts. They now have only 2 wires that go to them that provide power and a ground. Everything else that the 660/665 mount did is now taken over by Bluetooth or wifi.
I ordered the HD aux electrical harness that fits into the fairing switches and it wasn't cheap. I could have hooked it up straight to the battery and gotten by for just the cost of some solder sleeves and wire.
If your 660 is working well then stick with it as I know it is a good unit. I had no trouble going to the Milwaukee HD museum and back home a few years ago.
Good luck with yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts