Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really a build, but rather a slow money burn of upgrades and such on my 2012 Big Blue Pearl FLTRX. If admins don't think this is a "build", kill it or move it - I don't care.

I brought her home in July of 2012, with just a 12" HD windscreen and comfortable grips:

I figured I would just ride the dickens out of this bike and forgo all the upgrades. Then I found this forum. Curse you all!!!!A little buffeting control was warranted, so I installed some painted lowers and wind deflectors in late July. Also installed a 4 point dock and special passenger backrest for my wife and iPod interface with the saddlebag mount (not visible):

Rode it 5K miles in a couple months, and made the mistake of popping into a dealership on a trip. They happend to have some contrast cut mirrors and levers. They look so cool, so why not:

The stock speakers sucked, so I installed the BOOM version one of those late summer weekends, along with the curved license plate frame.
Then the DayMakers came out, and I just had to have them:

Then winter hit in SW Virginia. I'm talking full bore cold wind, rain, ice and snow winter - without a break. Bike sat in the garage from early November onward. By late January, I was going stir crazy. I needed to tinker on my bike. It all started with the idea of simply adding a GPS for those long summer trips. It would up meandering to include:
Edge Cut Shifter Pegs
Edge Cut Heel/Toe Shifter
Edge Cut Shift Linkage
Billet Black Rear Brake Lever
Satin Black Road Glide Handlebar
Edge Cut Grips
Zumo 665 with XM
Black Zumo Handlebar Mount
Non-Ultra Overlay
Navigation Interface Unit
Hidden Antenna
Edge Cut Cowbells
Black Lower Fork Sliders
Progressive Monotube Front Suspension
Progressive 11.5" 444 Shocks
Rush True Duals
Rush Big Louie Slipons
Arlen Ness 1" Lower Jiffy Stand
Power Vision Tuner and Stage 1 AC from Fuel Moto
Painted-over the stock chrome football AC with Flat Black
And now it looks like this:

I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of my upgrade expenses and plans. It makes me sick to my stomach when I look at the total spent and left to spend. Are we daft?

I plan to ride the tires off it this summer, without upgrading anything. Yeah, sure. I do know the Progressive suspension rides rough as a cob out of the box. I sure hope I can get it dialed-in to run smoother. It shouldn't clunk on the rebound in front and bounce my ass off the seat when the rear hits a bump....

I do have some notions of future upgrades. They include:
Upgrade the speakers. For sure four speakers in the fairing and two in the lowers - with a couple amps driving them. Perhaps add a couple amplified speaks to the bags, as well. More is always better, right?
Contrast Cut wheels. I'm thinking wider in the front, rather than bigger in diameter. I like the low/fat look. That will likely need to be a winter mod.
Extended bags and CVO style rear.
CVO gauges with blue backlights all around.
Engine mods - need to research and decide how I want to go. Something that sounds modified, runs strong, but is as close to bulletproof as possible.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
That spreadsheet can be a scary thing. I built one not too long ago myself and was amazed as to how fast it adds up, and to think I've got about 2k into re-used parts off my last bike.

Your bike looks great by the way. I think you're on the right track with the fat front tire and can't wait to see it. Maybe that big wheel look (over 21") will dies a tragic death soon.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Hehehehehe.........I'm just glad to see a "Normal- Not over the top" bike that someone has spent more than me !!! LOL!!!!!!!!
I REALLY Appreciate it!!!!! Just made me look like a frikin saint w/ my wife!!!!!

(she is looking over my shoulder & says she doesn't see the humor, But I damn sure do !!!!!!)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
There are 2 potential things I take away from this....

A) Do Not make a spreadsheet of what I spent!! (avoid depression)

- OR -

B) If I do make a spreadsheet, DO NOT SHOW IT to the woman!!:D

Bike is looking good!!!

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
The bike looks great. Your first mistake was keep track of $$ upgrades. Your second and bigger mistake will be letting your wife see the list. Don't make mistake # 2.:D

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
No cure for your illness sorry I didn't see did you get the boom amp yet and speakers in the lowers just trying to help hehe:D

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
There are 2 potential things I take away from this....

A) Do Not make a spreadsheet of what I spent!! (avoid depression)

- OR -

B) If I do make a spreadsheet, DO NOT SHOW IT to the woman!!:D

Bike is looking good!!!
Microsoft Excel was and is my mortal enemy. However, I looked my spreadsheet right in the face..............................

......................and almost passed out.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Quick, you're not helping me out here... If I see Duncan this year, all bets are off once I hear his upgraded tunes....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I know pard just I am in the same boat your in.When I bought mine the wife said can you be happy with the way it is for awhile and promise me you won't spend any money on the bike.I said no never lied to her wasn't going to start.I am like you happy with up grades that help ride and performance think she a sharp looking ride from the factory.No known cure for what we got and this is the wrong place for therapy:D

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Contrast Cut wheels. I'm thinking wider in the front, rather than bigger in diameter. I like the low/fat look.
I agree! I think it's a MUCH better look. In case folks haven't seen it, here's a link to a video of a low, wide custom Road Glide from Native Custom Baggers. They have pics of the bike on their site as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNlsMt96HEQ

·
Registered
671 Posts
Looking good Bro..

Man.. I ain't doin' no spreadsheet.. Don't want any evidence layin' around on the real cost..

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know pard just I am in the same boat your in.When I bought mine the wife said can you be happy with the way it is for awhile and promise me you won't spend any money on the bike.I said no never lied to her wasn't going to start.I am like you happy with up grades that help ride and performance think she a sharp looking ride from the factory.No known cure for what we got and this is the wrong place for therapy:D
That is so funny. My wife told me, in no uncertain terms, that I WOULD be happy with my new bike, and I WOULD NOT spend gobs of money on this one, like I did the prior one. I love that woman - she tries so hard, even though she knows it is futile. 29 years of futility, in her case.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
That is so funny. My wife told me, in no uncertain terms, that I WOULD be happy with my new bike, and I WOULD NOT spend gobs of money on this one, like I did the prior one. I love that woman - she tries so hard, even though she knows it is futile. 29 years of futility, in her case.
Preaching to the choir, Boss and I will hit 35 this one.But she loves to ride sit back and watch the world go buy.With out a doubt my best biker buddy!!!!!!!:)
Your bike is looking good love that color!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts