Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose it's my turn to start a build thread. This is my first harley, and my first major body work on anything. I'm pretty sure I'm in over my head. Thanks to the experts on this site (and another one devoted to body work), I'm almost done. I didn't have any real plans when I started. I knew I wanted stretched bags, fender and a bigger wheel. The bike started out originally as a wrecked Chopper Blue RG, and it's slowly making its way back on the road as a Graphite Grey Pearl RG with some body and suspension mods.

Sturgis is only a few weeks away, and I still have a lot to do. :eek:

Hear is a pic of what I started with. More to come​

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, yeah, like most people, I'm on a budget with this, so I'm doing everything myself. I have a little experience in body-work, so I'm not too intimidated by this.

I picked up a cheap ebay stretched fender and started sanding and filling, sanding and filling......

I didn't really want stretched bags in the beginning, but I couldn't figure out how to make the fender work without. I found a good deal on the CVO style bags and decided to make them work.

I made cutouts on the fender and decided it looked a little weak, so I added some material to make it look a little thicker.​

Attachments

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Rebuild

Subscribed --- Good Luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a few more...

Of course, the bags didn't line up nicely with the fender. I could have made the fender cutouts a little bigger to line up with the openings in the bags, but I didn't like the thought of an 8 inch hole for 4 inch exhaust. It just didn't sound right. So, I had to add some material to the bags too.

I tried to fit the stock seat on the bike, but there was a huge gap between the fender and the seat, so I scratched that idea. A little googl'ing and I found out how to make a seat. (I think I saw a thread on here where someone did something similar).​

Attachments

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Good Job. I love seeing stuff like this. I too have some experience, but am never afraid to rip into something. My mentality on that is, "I will give it a shot, if I mess it up, I know there is someone that can fix it", of course for dollars bills though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a couple of pics of the wheel and fender mocked up. The wheel is 23" Arlen Ness Retro, and the fender is the Arlen Ness CowCatcher (I think). I tried to use the stock fender, but I didn't like the look. The stock fender looks ok with smaller wheels. On a 23", it just looked too small on my bike. Oh, I also raked and lowered it to bring the front end down to level the bike out.​

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I probably skipped a few steps on this thread, but I'll put up some more pics of the build when everything is finished. I'm not a big fan of how the seat turned out, but I didn't expect much from my first seat. It'll do for now.

I finally got the bike outside to take a couple of pics. I also had a chance to get it on the road (briefly). I still have a couple of things to button up before Sturgis. I'll try to get some more soon.

Enjoy.​

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts