Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ridden their Road Glide on Gravel and Forest Roads? Just coming off a BMW 1200GS and want to know how far I can push this bike.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
They do as expected. I almost got stuck in the mud in my yard. I got a little place in the mountains North Carolina and its all gravel and steep climbs to get there and heavy ultra does surprisingly well.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I don't like riding on gravel roads and I only do it if I really have to. Gravel will kick up and hit components on the bike along with chipping the paint on the frame creating a potential rust spot. These bike don't handle well in sand either.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
That's funny

you will be fine on actual roads!! this is NOT a trail bike!! I prefer pavement leave the dirt roads for Rob at SW!!:D
That's funny. There's a video on here someplace. Gravel on purpose? Why? These beasts are heavy, but they can do gravel and dirt, mud if you must, but not by design.

W

·
0 Posts
You'll think about it real hard when that piece of gravel goes between the pully and the belt. And through the belt.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'll pass on the gravel roads and parking lots whenever possible. They are not the most stable animals when the pavement disappears. I've almost lost it a few times trying to do a slow u-turn in a gravel parking lot.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
My buddies and i go to northern VT several times a year to visit another friend up there. There are a bunch of "groomed" dirt roads. Obviously you need to use caution but the bikes do just fine. That goes for gravel roads as well. after all you can ride down the highway and get crap kicked up at you that can damage the bike too. Just use common sense and youll be fine

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
I have been known to not always turn around when the pavement runs out and turns to less than ideal roadway. After all you still have to get where it is you want to go. Going to slow on gravel is not always a good idea as it tends to allow the wheel to fall through. If you keep a constant steady speed without over braking/steering you will have less of a tendency for the wheel to washout. Could be my long gone youthful years of riding in the dirt not quite out of my system yet. You just might enjoy where that dirt road leads :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Listen to the advice, but don't let anyone tell you where and how to ride your bike!!! (Unless they paid for the bike of course).

I live in Florida so if I had to stick to 100% pavement I might as well not ride.

The RG does about as expected when it leaves the pavement. Your experience on the Beemer will help.

Enjoy!!!!!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I'll pass on the gravel roads and parking lots whenever possible. They are not the most stable animals when the pavement disappears. I've almost lost it a few times trying to do a slow u-turn in a gravel parking lot.

+1....I know due to the higher center of gravity the Ultra aint real happy on dirt and gravel. A custom no doubt would do better.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I had to ride down hill on a gravel road a few years ago. I was on a road trip and there was no turning back. My bike was loaded with my camping gear and clothes so it was top heavy. The biggest challenge was controlling my speed since I was going down hill. I never touched the rear brake and lightly feathered my front brake to control my speed. I took wide turns when the road twisted and let out a sigh of relief when I made it to the asphalt.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Made wrong turn in CO mountains and ended up on 11-mile dirt road with hairpin turns, etc. you have to ride slow but not too slow. It was so bumpy I truly thought my bags were going to fall off. Part of the road felt like it was straight up. That sucked. The bike got me through it but when finally got to pavement I stopped, got off the bike and had a smoke. Lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts