Road Glide banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Just checked a couple of sections of the service manual and it looks like they're sealed bearings. Have to pack them with grease like a wheel bearing on a car when installing them. If you try to take them out, they are destroyed and have to be replaced.

·
Registered
853 Posts
You should have got a manual with your bike! And yes, they are bigger diameter lifetime sealed/greased bearings.....sit back, relax and read your manual, and enjoy a TON of low maintenance riding with this new bike!!!
Also, checking head play is completely different on this bike. No more "Swing check" as we used to know it. It's "Kind of the same....but different" now

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Thanks OBB. I guess I can return the new grease gun I bought today.
I started shopping for a 2015 HD service manual too. They's expensive.

Scoots
Look at the bright side. Once you return that grease gun, You'll have a couple bucks for beer :D

·
Registered
641 Posts
I ordered my manual from Kutter Harley. Much cheaper than retail.

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
sit back, relax and read your manual, and enjoy a TON of low maintenance riding with this new bike!!!
low maintenance? you have to inspect, adjust and lubricate steering head bearings every 25,000 miles. in order to properly do that, you have to tear your front end down.

i see the 25k maintenance at the dealer becoming a very expensive proposition. (for those who dealer service their bike).

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just got a new tire and inspection and I was looking over the receipt and it was noted that my steering head was "tight" and marked that it did not pass their check. In other words, out of specs I guess. Passed inspection though. Counter guy did not really know any details and service guys were closing up. Counter guy said neck bearings are a four hour job. I don't notice anything wrong. Anybody else have any issues with them failing? Bike has 28,000 miles and two year warranty is up in September. I have ESP but I forgot to ask whether warranty or ESP covers neck bearings. Probably not.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks. Tight is a very ambiguous term. They should be a little more specific. Like what future issues could it cause and any other concerns. I guess Ill just ride it. I don't notice any issue like when my 2013 was loose. I am going to find out whether those bearing will be cover under warranty or ESP though.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Not Having an easy accessible neck bearing grease fitting nipple is clueless to me.
If they put a grease zirk on the steering head it would be pointless for a couple of reasons, one, the bearings are the sealed type, and two, the frame tubes that are connected to the steering head are now hollow, so you'd be going through a shitload of grease and pumping your frame full at the same time.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
40 Posts
If they put a grease zirk on the steering head it would be pointless for a couple of reasons, one, the bearings are the sealed type, and two, the frame tubes that are connected to the steering head are now hollow, so you'd be going through a shitload of grease and pumping your frame full at the same time.

Lil Chief
You can be pretty certain the MoCo has never made any changes that decreased maintenance revenue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.