Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got home and was going to write about my ride today, and proud of the 255 miles I did after church, but the 600 miler puts me to shame. Oh well, I will tell about it anyway. Went to church with my wife, oldest son and his girlfriend. I let him ride the '02 softail for the first time sine I picked it up on Wednesday. They both really liked it. Wish he could have gone along for the rest of the day, but he has to wait a couple of more months before he is allowed to (long story, legal issues, glad he's alive and having to pay his debt to society rather than dead). Anyway, after church the youngest son and I hopped on the bikes to ride to my in laws in Southern Indiana. He had been borrowing his pappy's truck because his was getting a remanufactured engine put in it because of his dumb ass decisions. Anyway, the wife suggested she drive the truck down after church and then she could ride back with me. This was the boy's first long trip on the 96 softail. He did great, really likes it and it fits him well. Couple of minor changes will be needed, longer highway pegs and I am thinking about getting some taller bars. Anyway on the way home I decide to get on it from a stop sign to remind him that Dad's bike is the shit. I noticed I wasn't really pulling away from him as much as I thought I should, if at all. Well when I hit about 70-75 the SOB started closing the gap and ran by me by the time I got up to about 85. Now granted, the wife and I are both on my bike, say maybe 1-150 pounds more weight there, plus I know my bike is probably 250-300 pounds heavier, but still. The engine on the softail was replaced around 20k ago, but with another EVO, and it did have cam work done plus the hyper charger, but really? Do cam(s) make that big a difference? Dad may have to start saving up to have some work done on the RGU, thinking a stage 1 may help me out? I'm stock other than slip ons.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Cams do make a huge difference on 2013 and earlier 103 models, also a good exhaust and intake upgrade will help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts