Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went up the Smokies for a long weekend, the riding was amazing I felt that I must share it would you.

Sept 6 – Packed the bikes up in the trailer (One of the couple going was staying for the whole week because of the car show. So they were trailering up 53 Chevy so we had to take his bike up there for him)

Sept 7 – Left home around 10:00 and got into Gatlinburgh, TN around 5:00. Unloaded the bikes and headed into Pigeon Forge. Far as that ride, nothing to really write home about, but at least I wasn’t at home. We stopped off at the dealer, grabbed some food and headed back to the hotel.

Sept 8 – Got up and jumped on the bikes and road back into Pigeon Forge for breakfast and over to the Shades car show, over at Dollywood. It was cool to see all the cars from the 30, 40, 50 and 60s. We think we put money in our motorcycles, you should see some of these cars. WOW. It rained on us at the show and back to the hotel but we made the most of it. We called it early that day on the bikes and headed for dinner and brews.

Sept 9 – We got a late start because the previous night and the number of brews involved. So we hit the road about 9:00. We left Gatlinburgh through the Smokey Mountain National Park. We took little river road to highway 73. Little River Road has lots to see offer. The road is by the river, plus with all of the trees and mountains its __________ (lost for words). We took the Foothills Parkway over to 129. The Foothills Parkway was a nice road with long sweeping corners. Nothing to over the top but the view again was just awesome. Once we got on 129, I will be honest, my nerves hit me. Not sure if reading all the forum talk about that road was a good thing or not. The Tail of the Dragon is awesome. We know it has lots of curves, but what I didn’t realize until riding it was the road grade. There is nothing flat about this road. Not that it was rough; it just would have you pitched (banked) in the corners like a race track. This is something everyone must do, a couple of times. We stopped off at the bottom at the store. Here we walked through the stores, checked out Tree of Shame and grabbed a quick bite. Back on the road we took Moonshiner 28. Another road with lots of twisties, just not a sharp as those on the dragon. We took 143 back over to 129 to head back to Gatlinburg. Once we got back to the hotel I was worn. After only riding these eastern NC roads, I was given a wake up call. Once we got back, we parked the bikes and grabbed some dinner. Once we finished up dinner, we put the bikes back in the trailer and hit the bed. I slept like a baby.

Sept 10 – Head back home:(.

Overall, I have to say this ride made me a better rider. I have never had the opportunity to ride such roads in the past (only my 3rd year of owning a bike). In my honest opinion, for those that are not into all of the twisties, you need to take the opportunity to take this ride. The scenery is just awesome, the roads are just awesome, and the experience is just _______ (again lost for words). I can’t wait to do it again. But it may be a couple of years since we are doing Sturgis next year:D.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I love foot hills parkway, Its a blast with the feet on the hwy pegs and cruise set at about 52mph.:)

Little river road is the best way in and out of Gatlineburg in my opinon.

The Dragon is fun mid week. The Charhala skyway is a blast. 64 along the Okoee river is great. 28 is a good road too. 68 out of Tellico down to GA is a fanstastic ride.

Many of these roads we do for a day ride:)

Glad you like my back yard

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I, too, got a chance to hook up with friends and ride Tail of the Dragon this season. On return we took Blue Ridge Pkwy north for a while--this area is truly one of the premier East coast rides. We're thinking of doing an annual thing--no way to do it all right in just 4-5 days.:)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Wife, myself and a couple were down there at the end of July and I could not agree with you more on how great it is riding there. My wife is not a fan of twisties to say the least but her exact words were "That was awesome" when we finished the dragon. There isn't a shitty ride down there. All the roads are full of great views and curves. I LOVED the Foothills and the Cherohola Sky way is beautiful. It will be a few years before we can do it again but it was the best vacation I have ever had.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I rode the Cherohala Skyway and the Dragon on Tuesday (9/11). Left west TN around 7:00 that morning and came home that night. It was a long day but enjoyable. Around 800 miles.
Yea, that is quite a long ride for a day trip.

Glad I only have 74 miles or so to get to the start of the Dragon from my house, and a few less to get to the Cherohala Skyway. :)

I get back in the USA on the 20th, so I plan to ride the foothills parkway and then maybe the Cherohala on th 21st. :D

·
Registered
853 Posts
Take those stock tires off and get some great performing sport/touring tires and you'll have goosebumps remembering your next ride!!! (not that you don't from this ride!!!)
Glad you enjoyed it!

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Making plans now to go back to the area for another two weeks next May. looking at staying in Cashiers NC this time.
Last year was a great time we rode 3500 miles bouncing around.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Love living here. Great roads. Some of the best ones are the little connector type between major routes, they snake up and down and all around the mountains, lakes and streams. "Switchbacks" is the word for the day :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts