Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok. I have to vent here. Went on a long ride this weekend with a bunch of other people. There was a contigent of a bike club, which will remain un named that came along.
While riding in the commute lane, at 80 mph, these club guys decide I am too slow. I was in the pack just behind the rest of the riders with enough room to avoid an issue in front of me at those speeds. You have to be safe you know. So here these idiots go passing me on both sides, only to pull in front of me, and have to slow down, which forced me and everyone else behind to slow down. Then once we got on the smaller roads one guy pulls up and tells me to " tighten it up". I felt like flipping him off. I was riding safe, they were not. At one point I ended up in the wrong lane, due to me not being falimiar with that road. When I merged back in, they didn't give me room, and I was forced to split lanes, until I got a place to slip in again. This same ass hat pulls up again, and tells me to make my mind up which lane I am going to ride in. And makes some hand gestures to me. I am thinking at this point, any lane without this ass hat would be the best choice. At the next turn, which was a left turn at a controlled light, they all ran the red light, and turned left, against all the traffic. I stopped and waited for the light. This Kind of rider is what give riders a bad name, and makes me not want to ride as a group. They were simply not riding safe IMHO. Last thing I want is to get into a group accident, especially at freeway speeds. Plus they killed my ride buzz. Who died and left him in charge of how I should ride. OK, got that off my chest. So who was in the wrong here? I felt I was in the right. I ended up letting the crowd with the ass hats, go on without me and rode the rest of the way on my own, with another rider who felt the same way. It really takes the fun out of a ride, with folks like that. And to top it off. That club got hella lost, and arrived late.. Lol. Thier club name has " lost" in it. How appropriate.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I do enjoy an occasional group rides but when it comes down to it, I have to ride my own ride. No one else is going to pay for my bike and no one else will feel another person's physical pain. A few years back I was riding with a group out west that I had to leave because I wasn't comfortable with how they were riding; just gave a friendly wave and peeled off. No one ever asked and I never brought it up. When everything is said and done, I'm responsible for my own decisions and actions so that's how I'll ride.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Allways ride your own ride
If you aren't comfortable with who you are sharing the road with, let em go you don't owe them anything
Live to ride - tomorrow

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
+1....strictly speaking if you ride like the 'asshat' wants you to ride, not how you want or feel comfortable riding, he's in effect riding your bike for you! Let superbiker ride on and enjoy your ride.

If however the 'Club' forces me out of my lane and won't let me back in then that opens up a whole other can of worms!

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I'm not in a club but I do support some buddies that are. I ride with them on occasion and for the most part they ride fine. If and when they decide to go a little crazy I'll just back off and let them do their thing. Most of the time I know where the ride is ending up so I'll just meet the there whenever I get there. They all know me and don't break my balls about it. Club life isn't for everyone and it's not for me either. I ride at my own leisure

·
Registered
223 Posts
indi

Indi riders and Road Glides go hand in hand.
I was in the BC Rockies and pulled into a fuel station high in the mountains heading to Ontario to see 5 other Road Glides and all were heading in different directions. That's my kind of group ride. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ride mainly with my HS buddy. Every now and then we'll ride with a couple others. No more than five though for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Never ride faster than your angel can fly.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hate riding with clubs. Once you get 3 or more of them together they start riding like assholes.

I'll do charity rides but am always prepared to bail or move to a different section of the group if I don't like what's going on around me.

I'll only do long rides with people I've ridden at least a day with before

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
I LOATHE Group Rides and really only do (1) a year as I can put my shit aside for the Kids.......Its the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation Ride and we have been doing it for years....they run a great show and we know when to arrive (late) so we can be in the back and not deal with fucktards that ruin the fun

Other than that......I have about (10) cats I roll with and when on the road....I know what moves they are going to make before they do.......and vice versa

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Never been part of a club, used to have a group that rode together on a regular basis. Anywhere from 5-15 bikes. We would do 3-4 charity rides a year to support certain causes. When we all rode together I didn't mind it. We all knew each other, no one was trying to outride anyone else and it was very comfortable. When we did the charity rides we usually stuck together and had a little buffer between us and others who either couldn't, or choose not to ride respectfully and responsibly. Unfortunately the group kind of fell apart. I have a couple people I ride with, although so far this year it hasn't worked out very well with timing and haven't seen a couple of them in months. Since the group fell apart I don't do charity rides. 5-6 bikes tops, 3-4 is ideal.

Now that my son has started riding I expect most of my time to be with him until he kicks the old man to the curb. He is only 17 and on a permit, so I have a few more months before that happens, and the bike will still be mine so I will have some control. Working on getting a third bike for the garage so my oldest can start riding with me again in July if things work out. Don't know if my fantasies will come true, but you can try.

·
Super Moderator
9,664 Posts
Never ride faster than your angel can fly.
And my angel is getting a few years on it's wings ...

Me and another forum member were discussing a similar issue a couple weeks ago .. This person rides like me , it's my money to fix the bike if I try to ride some other idiots ride with their pace ..

Too old to impress anybody anymore ..

Know some patches , not my thing , never has been , never will be , to each his own ..

Too many patches throw the "it's all about respect" line out to everyone , only issue is , they want you to respect them , but they don't return it to you in most cases ..

I've seen a rider down on the US1 Overseas Hwy ( Key West Fl ) and other riders stopping to help and a group of patches blasting within inches of them , running about 80 mph , real brotherhood there ..

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,949 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
A couple years ago, wife and I were riding with a small group to a M/C event. As we were riding a little tight at the time we ended up being force to ride through a very deep pothole. The impact was so hard it damaged the rear fender rail and the front motor mount. I could not move right due to the width of the hole, not left as it would force the guy next to us into the opposite lane. Another story. Last summer we were driving the cage to a family event. We saw a large group going the opposite direction. I felt envious that we were not riding with them. About an hour later many riders in that group were taken out by a driver who attempted to pass another vehicle. Two riders dead, two with amputations. In the future I will think again about doing any more group rides.
As for getting involved with a group who are intentionally riding crazy, it brings to recall the story of the Pied Piper. You were smart to go you own way.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I occasionally do group rides, sometimes as much as 30-40 bikes, and sometimes I lead.

It's never the fact that it's a group, if there's a problem it's always the asshats, not the number of bikes.

For the OP, you did the right thing. Any time the group is running red lights, pull out and leave. Any time they're riding too fast for you, and they tell you to speed up, pull out and leave. You have to ride your own ride, always.

And never, ever feel guilty about taking action necessary to keep yourself safe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Said it before, say it again....I don't do group rides with people I don't know and trust.
I'm with you on this, too many unpredictable riders out there. I like to stick with the group I know at least you can generally anticipate their moves.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
club rides are different than group rides. typically, the members of a club all know each other and how they ride, and ride tighter than most are comfortable.

look at the flip side of this, because you weren't riding in a manner to which they were used to, you were the unknown variable.

not saying you're wrong, but there's probably a couple guys somewhere talking about the guy on a ride that was all over the place and basically wreaking havoc.....

one reason i don't do large group rides

1 - 20 of 43 Posts