Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well long story short, my bike sat outside in the rain for two days. A much needed 5" of rain no less. Anyways this morning the sun was shining and I was planning on going with some friends on a poker run. Wiped the bike down and went to fire it up. That's when I noticed my display on the radio was blank. So much for water proof. I checked the fuse and yes it has power because I also heard the fan running for the amp. The cd did eject but I cant get the radio to turn on at all. Even tried blowing some compressed air through it, I can't be that lucky.
I guess its time for a Biketronics kit and a Sony head unit. It will complement my J&M amp and speakers nicely.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
The OEM radio isn't water proof, it's water resistant. Any radio left out in the rain is subject to the same, even a marine radio unless it's covered in some fashion. On the bright side if you do go with an aftermarket unit I'm sure you'll notice the improvement. Make sure if you're going to be leaving it out that you get a cover...... for the bike, and radio if possible.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I got off my butt and pulled the stock head unit. Yup just like I thought, its toast so I placed my order with Biketronics today. Went with their installation kit with the splash cover and a Sony MEX-BT4100P. Only $392.50. Yeah that will teach me to leave my ride out in the rain for two days.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I wish I had gone with the Sony 4100. Give us an update after you've installed it. If you happen to use the Bluetooth, I'd like to hear what you think of it. I think you'll enjoy the added features vs the stock unit.

Reactions: OnPhyre

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It suppose to be here next Wednesday but I probably wont have time till the weekend to install it and review it. I did have one of those little $20 bt adapters that you plug into the rca jack so I could stream Pandora and music from my phone. It actually worked pretty good most of the time. LOL
I went with the 4100 Sony for the fact that it has Pandora controls for Android phones where most of their other radios just work with iPhones.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Well I got off my butt and pulled the stock head unit. Yup just like I thought, its toast so I placed my order with Biketronics today. Went with their installation kit with the splash cover and a Sony MEX-BT4100P. Only $392.50.
No more CB and Intercom? You are not the first 2-3 year old bike with a radio going out I have heard of. Sucks, but enjoy the new rig!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my old 05RG the radio crapped out in the first year and was was replaced under warranty. It was still going strong when I traded it 6 yrs later. I've been wanting to do this upgrade for a while while anyways but had other plans for the money. Oh well one more mod knocked out.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Usually when the stock radio dries out it will work again. 5 inches of rain is a lot of water so it may take time for the radio the dry out. Did you tear it apart and look to see if it is toasted or just plug it in and try to turn it on?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ironmark I pulled it a few days later and took the faceplate off. There was no more moisture but plenty of corrosion. I cleaned it up best I could but no luck.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Ironmark I pulled it a few days later and took the faceplate off. There was no more moisture but plenty of corrosion. I cleaned it up best I could but no luck.
That a bummer. Send it out for repairs then sell it as a reconditioned unit. Let us know how you like the radio upgrade you are doing.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Not to hijack your thread. I hope your new stereo rocks out for you. But what do you do if you want to retain CB and Intercom? Any aftermarket stereos that will allow you to retain stock hand controls AND keep CB and Intercom? Or is Iron Cross your only hope?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Had issues on my RD Custom. Radio Was replaced twice. Just sayin.

Some of the HK head unit have problems and other don't it is hard to explain. I am still running the original HK radio that came with the bike when I bought the bike new in 08. I did buy a reconditioned HK radio from a forum member so I could have a backup in case my HK radio went out but the backup is still in the box.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not to hijack your thread. I hope your new stereo rocks out for you. But what do you do if you want to retain CB and Intercom? Any aftermarket stereos that will allow you to retain stock hand controls AND keep CB and Intercom? Or is Iron Cross your only hope?

Been riding for over 30 years and have never once even remotely cared about either a cb or intercom. If it was a delete option on my RGU I would have opted to not have it.

·
Registered
43 Posts

That's ok Slick, This was on a 2011 custom and didn't have CB or intercom. What got me was they always put a referbished replacement in although it was under warrenty. They were replaced because of them marring the CD's. I always use copies so no great loss. Traded that one in and now have the 2013 RG Ultra, See how that goes.

·
Banned
845 Posts
2013 RGU - replaced all 4 speakers with Boom! Audio speakers about 3 months ago. Wife and I were leaving fir Bikes Blues last weekend and noticed the right speaker center was completely gone!! So stopped by the dealer on the way and found out my Stock head unit is shorting the speaker out. They replaced the blown front speakers then turned them off totally unhooking them while I wait for my new replacement deck to come in so the new speakers don't get blow up. Ever since day one I had problems ejecting cd's and it would just turn off randomly, sometimes while I was just sitting at a red light?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Been riding for over 30 years and have never once even remotely cared about either a cb or intercom. If it was a delete option on my RGU I would have opted to not have it.
I don't think I'll ever use the CB but the intercom possibly on them long hauls. And I definitely want to keep my stock radio controls.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think I'll ever use the CB but the intercom possibly on them long hauls. And I definitely want to keep my stock radio controls.

With the biketronics kit you still have the stock controls for the radio and with the Sony 4100 radio you can even control Pandora on an iPhone or Android phone with the bar controls.

·
Registered
875 Posts
You'll be happier with the after market. Get a cover for it. As far as posts on intercom and CB..Intercom I am not sure about, CB I thought is a seperate module you can keep with aftermarket..same here I never used both so losing was no big deal..Went with sony aftermarket myself after MOCO replaced my HK with a refurbed..refurbed in a box on the shelf, just haven't gotten around to putting it up on ebay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts