Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on getting a new Shoei GT air, but I see that there is a new GT air2 coming out in 2019.

Anyone seen any info on the new one, and do you think that it will be worth the extra cash?

There are some pretty good prices floating around on the current one at the moment.

SLIM

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is the Shoei GT Air quite?
Yes the GT Air is quiet....The opening at the base of the helmet is fairly small so it fits snug around the bottom contributing to the quiet. Because of the small opening, it may be a bit tight going over your head, but once it's on it will fit properly. The distributor we get our Shoei helmets from has almost no GT Air's available and the GT Air II is still a few months out (April/May). The Neotec II was an improvement over the original, so I expect the same with the GT Air II.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have the Shoei RF1200 and i do find it rather noisy.
I wish I would have coughed up another $200 for one of the GT AIR models..

Its hard for me to justify spending another $600-700 for a new helmet today and put my current helmet in the closet.
If you are in the market for a new helmet I say go for the one that twinkles your toes cause if not you will be in my shoes a year from now...

-

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the Shoei RF1200 and i do find it rather noisy.
I wish I would have coughed up another $200 for one of the GT AIR models..

Its hard for me to justify spending another $600-700 for a new helmet today and put my current helmet in the closet.
If you are in the market for a new helmet I say go for the one that twinkles your toes cause if not you will be in my shoes a year from now...

-
Double check your face shield....on my new Neotec II, I found the first ride noisier than expected and I was somewhat disappointed. On the next ride, I found out I had not closed the face shield all the way. Make sure it "clicks" into place when closed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes the GT Air is quiet....The opening at the base of the helmet is fairly small so it fits snug around the bottom contributing to the quiet. Because of the small opening, it may be a bit tight going over your head, but once it's on it will fit properly. The distributor we get our Shoei helmets from has almost no GT Air's available and the GT Air II is still a few months out (April/May). The Neotec II was an improvement over the original, so I expect the same with the GT Air II.

Thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
I’m shopping for a new lid and stopped by the Cycle Gear store on the North Freeway today. I am shopping the Schoei Air 2 vs the Arai Defiant X. The Air 2 will not be released until late March. Per the store manager, the Air series does not produce as much air flow as the RF-1200, but nothing is known regarding the Air 2. He claimed the Defiant X generates much more air flow than the Air, but mostly because of the chin vents. The Schoei Neotec 2 has no adjustment of the speaker pods location (expected to be similar to the Air 2), which has been the root of the complaints with the Sena SRL Headset. Yet to be seen if the problem is solved in the Air 2. I’m going to wait until release and reviews.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’m shopping for a new lid and stopped by the Cycle Gear store on the North Freeway today. I am shopping the Schoei Air 2 vs the Arai Defiant X. The Air 2 will not be released until late March. Per the store manager, the Air series does not produce as much air flow as the RF-1200, but nothing is known regarding the Air 2. He claimed the Defiant X generates much more air flow than the Air, but mostly because of the chin vents. The Schoei Neotec 2 has no adjustment of the speaker pods location (expected to be similar to the Air 2), which has been the root of the complaints with the Sena SRL Headset. Yet to be seen if the problem is solved in the Air 2. I’m going to wait until release and reviews.
I can't speak for the SRL headset (we've only installed one), but the idea that you can't adjust speaker location is a crock of crap. Every bluetooth unit I've installed (over 100, Sena & Cardo) has the speakers mounted to velcro pads that are placed in the approximate location of your ears. The speakers are then attached to the velcro, allowing some degree of adjustment. I have a Cardo unit in my Neotec II and I can move the speakers if the need arises. The Neotec II flows more air than the original Neotec, so I would expect the GT Air 2 to be at least as good. The RF1200 does not have an internal sun visor, so they have eyebrow vents in addition to the top vent. I have a Defiant X also, so maybe I'll ride the Shoei RF1200 & the Arai back to back this week and see how the air flow compares.

On another note the Sena SRL is wired as one unit.....meaning you can't replace components (speakers/mic). If they go bad, you'll have to buy a whole new unit. You'll also have to bring the entire helmet in to be charged since the battery is internal in the helmet. If you have more than one helmet, you can't move the SRL from one to the other and if you change helmets down the road, the SRL won't fit....it is specific to the helmet. Spend wisely.....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't speak for the SRL headset (we've only installed one), but the idea that you can't adjust speaker location is a crock of crap. Every bluetooth unit I've installed (over 100, Sena & Cardo) has the speakers mounted to velcro pads that are placed in the approximate location of your ears. The speakers are then attached to the velcro, allowing some degree of adjustment. I have a Cardo unit in my Neotec II and I can move the speakers if the need arises. The Neotec II flows more air than the original Neotec, so I would expect the GT Air 2 to be at least as good. The RF1200 does not have an internal sun visor, so they have eyebrow vents in addition to the top vent. I have a Defiant X also, so maybe I'll ride the Shoei RF1200 & the Arai back to back this week and see how the air flow compares.

On another note the Sena SRL is wired as one unit.....meaning you can't replace components (speakers/mic). If they go bad, you'll have to buy a whole new unit. You'll also have to bring the entire helmet in to be charged since the battery is internal in the helmet. If you have more than one helmet, you can't move the SRL from one to the other and if you change helmets down the road, the SRL won't fit....it is specific to the helmet. Spend wisely.....
Not quite true.
You can always solder a new set of speakers if you can used a decent soldering iron.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That is true....assuming you can get parts from Sena. You could use different speakers but there may be impedance issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts