Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i start the bike up i hear a loud tapping noise almost like a valve tap in ca car engine. when the motor warms up the tap subsides. i read somewhere that the oil is draining off? will it cause any issue if i just let the bike warm up ?

never had the motor apart. all stock 2011.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Yep the lifters (tappets) are starting to go bad. Replacing the lifters is a easy DIY.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Mine was a lifter..while your in there might as well upgrade the cam and bearings!!!...lol

Reactions: freedom1974

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's normal for the lifters to bleed down and tap for a couple of seconds, but it depends on how loud they are. Harley replaced the lifters in my 2016 at 20,000 miles because they were already worn.

·
Registered
214 Posts
As others have said it sure sounds like a lifter issue. Might as well add them to the scheduled maintenance list. If you choose to replace, I would strongly recommend looking other places than HD for replacements

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
any good how to videos ? i have not found one. do you really have to cut the rods in half to remove ?

doesnt seem to be a hard job to do from what i can find, but have not found a how to from beginning to end.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
any good how to videos ? i have not found one. do you really have to cut the rods in half to remove ?

doesnt seem to be a hard job to do from what i can find, but have not found a how to from beginning to end.
On these new scooters, its real easy to take the tank off. Then pull the rocker box tops. $10 for two gaskets vs $100+ for adjustable rods. And you don't need to school up on adjusting the rods.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts

Lifters, ...you can do pushrods if you like..but lifters dont need to take apart top end...

·
Registered
214 Posts
https://youtu.be/n5KvamRqCis Hope that link works for you. Its for a cam change but it you will scan through it, it will get you a real good idea of a lifter change. As for the push rods, you can cut and install adjustables or as said earlier you can remove the tank, rocker boxes, rockers, and bring the pushrods out the top. That would be a decision for you. If you plan on doing future work, cams, heads, or something along that line then I would make the suggestion of going ahead and installing adjustables now. If you plan no further work then no since in spending the extra bucks for adjustable. Just my opinion though. Service manuals are worth the $

1 - 13 of 13 Posts