Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one gutted the cat? I have a guy in town that is gutting them and he says it sounds great and gives it more power with out hurting the bike. I currently have 4" reinhardt slip ones and I am thinking of doing this instead of getting new headers. The shop that does this said it works as good as true duels. any thoughts. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
828 Posts
ive been considering this as well. I know it will cut down on heat significantly. I also have heard it will change the exhaust note.. Let me know how you make out. I may do mine this winter. :cool:

·
878 Posts
There is just the problem...real or perceived of the o2 sensors crosstalking. I do believe that a cat gutted stock headpipe allows the o2 sensors to crosstalk, and kinda defeats the whole purpose.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sounds like a good mod as long as you are running the PCV that does not use the 02 sensors.

·
Registered
909 Posts
ok guy i have a 2011 rgu and i just cut my cat out.2010 and 2011 02 sensors are before the cat so if there is a cat or no cat 02 sensors doesnt pick this up.the heat issue there isnt anymore,there is a louder tone not much but eough to know and the performace its not alot but you will notice it.
now what im doing is im putting 3.5 rineharts slipons,fuelmoto air filter and im putting a fuel pak.the only reason im doing the air filter,and fuel pak is because i got them before gutting the cat.so if you dont want to spend the extra cash dont you wont need it unless you want to add alittle more horse power.i will try to get soume sound bit over the weekend before and after.

·
878 Posts
I don't profess to fully understand this phenomena, but people that make their living understanding it say that there is a reversion (negative pulse wave) that gets stopped by the cat...and when the cat is gone, it allows the o2 sensors to cross talk. Seems like the need about 6" of pipe to stop the wave if the pipes are open.

I would guess Jamie at Fuel Moto could give us the real scoop on this...and probably a solution...

It would be fun to see if it's true, but might be like one of those "oil threads" where everyone has a different opinion... Lots of people have gutted the cat, and see no problems...

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Somewhere I saw a dyno chart comparing with and without, about 2HP was all.
There is a difference in sound though.

·
878 Posts
Somewhere I saw a dyno chart comparing with and without, about 2HP was all.
There is a difference in sound though.
And a difference in right leg heat too.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
909 Posts
ok guys here it is before and after sound click on the pic for video to play
this was taken with my phone not so great but rineharts sound better
this is stock mufflers w/headpipe gutted (no cats)
stock ecm,and air filter

this is 3.5 rineharts with stock headpipe (no cats)
and stock ecm,and air filter

·
Registered
4,499 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
I guess I can see the cost factor - but if your going to gut the cats why not just get some nice new head pipes?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
cat

I want to do this also. Way too much heat. My wife actually wears a pink soccer shin guard..... and she never played soccer. I also bought some Motherwells Lid bras (thanks to BDMastuff) so she could place her feet on the bags for relief from the heat. Cat has to go. But I do not want to cause O2 sensor problems.(whatever that is). My RG runs great, sounds great already.

·
Registered
828 Posts
the thing to keep in mind for all of you trying to figure out the O2 thing is, if you have a stage one in your bike with PCV, your O2's are disconected anyway. they are filling holes now and thats it. If you do not have a PCV or any other tuner that discontinues the O2 sensors, it might be an upgrade you would want to look into. the PCV Fuel moto sends out, will have a map for your configuation, even if that is stock.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The O2 cross talk is myth and hype. On the 103" and 96" motor there is no real measurable power increased or decrease for that matter. The cat flow is good for a tune up to about 100hp/tq on either of these motors. More than that and it will start being restrictive. What removing the cat does is decrease the felt heat on your and your passengers right foot. You also get some more sound.

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2010, gutted a stock 2-1-2 headpipe and put the 4" rineharts and PCV. Sounds good and got rid of some of the heat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ok guys, I removed my cats 2011 RGU and the lack of heat alone is enough to make me dance. The sound of the wild pig slip-on’s is an added step. 500 + miles and no engine light... A friend of mine purchased the D&D fat cats for his 2007 Street Glide the same week, and a third party stated that he could honestly not hear a difference between the two.....I am very pleased with the no heat issue and the sound that removing the cat has given me... If your thinking about doing it, some where on this forum someone shows you how to cut the pipe the long way, just removing a rectangular section out of the head pipe to keep the length intact. That worked like a charm, took the head pipes to a local muffler shop and $20 bucks and 10 min, I was back in the truck headed home.:)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
hey Kerry did you take any pics?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts