Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an LRS 14" light tint, but thinking about getting a dark tint. Maybe a Madstad.

Just wondered if you guys that bought dark ting windshields are you happy with them. I could see issues with non-paved roads, potholes, etc...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have a 15 inch Cee Baileys in Dark tint. I like it a lot. I do look over it thou. My opinion is if your needing to see right in front of your wheel. It's to late... your going to hit it.

Now looking threw dark tint... different story.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I got the madstad in the light tint and have been happy. I was worried about not seeing the road right in front of me at night. Think it looks pretty good on the bike.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I have a 14" Mako in Dark....I like mine. As far as seeing directly in front ....if you don't see that pothole or whatever before it would disappear due to the sheild tint- you probably don't have time to avoid anyway.
Parking lot / garage/ etc..... you should be accustomed to your bike well enough to know how far away from things or how close to objects you are.....JMO........

·
Registered
291 Posts
So I have a 12" Klockwerks dark tint was ok then I plasti dipped the inside. Looks like black chrome and I have never had an issue with any obstacles.
If you wanted to check it out a 6 dollar can of plasti dip is cheap.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
As far as seeing directly in front ....if you don't see that pothole or whatever before it would disappear due to the sheild tint- you probably don't have time to avoid anyway.
^This^

I've had people say, "well, I can see you don't ride at night, there's no way you could see anything through that shield"

I was taught, and demonstrated to, that the top of your shield should be between your chin and nose, and that you looked over the shield. If your shield is working properly, everything but the largest items will be deflected above your head, so debris in your eyes shouldn't be an issue.
Also, with the shield adjusted this way, you'll see the ground approx. 20ft in front of the bike, and yes, anything closer than that is too late to deal with anyway.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I had a dark tint 13" Madstad which caused me vision problems, especially going up hills as the shield is above your eyes. Also, if you have had lasik surgery then your ability to see in low-light is already compromised. I sold it and got a shorter one. I'm roughly 5'11" FWIW. I now have an 11" and a 9" for different riding situations.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 14" LRS Mako dark tint and think it looks bad azz. I am looking over the windshield though and wish I had bought the 16".

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a 15" LRS mako in medium. Everyone stated that the medium LRS was like everyone else's dark. I wish I would have went with the dark on my LRS.

I used the measurements from the LRS shield site and I look over it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a 12" dark Freedom shield. I look over it, but it is amazing how well you can actually see through it, even at night.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Windvest are nice! Maybe a little nicer. Very similar to the Mako. One thing I prefer on a clear or light tint is the mounting area to be blacked out like an OE shield. Makes for a much cleaner look and hides the foam. The Mako does not have this. Of course if you are going with a dark tint then it's a mute point.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've heard good things about wind vest. The shape seems very similar. At 1/3 the cost I figured I'd roll the dice ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts