Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started installing my amp and speakers today, installed the mmats in lower and rear pods then the discovery...
Opened my GZ box and they ain't coaxial's.
When I ordered i just got the yellow basket and unaware that they made two 6.5 yellow baskets.
So I got me a set of GZCK 165SPL instead of the GZCF 165
Damn...
So I'm going to add more to my excess inventory of stereo stuff and in the meantime I'm going to run them until I get the correct ones.
Hope this saves someone the same mistake I made...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Any chance the mmats you got are the coax? If they are, put the mmats in the fairing and the GZs in the lowers, you might like it! If you have the power, those GZs will hammer— just as lowers should. The only down side is they’ll have to roll off naturally on the top end but that’s not the worst thing on the planet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any chance the mmats you got are the coax? If they are, put the mmats in the fairing and the GZs in the lowers, you might like it! If you have the power, those GZs will hammer— just as lowers should. The only down side is they’ll have to roll off naturally on the top end but that’s not the worst thing on the planet.
I was just gonna ask about that..
Do you think 200 rms each is enough?

·
Registered
369 Posts
If they’re being run on their own channel (not in parallel with the mmats) you can set them relatively low. 70-80Hz. That said, you won’t “hear” that bass coming from the lower but you damn sure might feel it in your pant leg.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If they’re being run on their own channel (not in parallel with the mmats) you can set them relatively low. 70-80Hz. That said, you won’t “hear” that bass coming from the lower but you damn sure might feel it in your pant leg.
I'm running everything off a sd 1200 4.4 they will have there own channel

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm running everything off a sd 1200 4.4 they will have there own channel
This was the same question I had not to thread jack, but same amp with 4 of the gz coax. Set the gains at 24.5v but wasn’t sure where x over should be clicked after that. Not using a dsp so not sure how to tune from radio or if I just set it on a “stock” aftermarket radio tune. Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This was the same question I had not to thread jack, but same amp with 4 of the gz coax. Set the gains at 24.5v but wasn’t sure where x over should be clicked after that. Not using a dsp so not sure how to tune from radio or if I just set it on a “stock” aftermarket radio tune. Thanks
You need more voltage then 24, I set mine to 28.5, at 4 ohms it should be 200 watts each with a 1200.4.4

·
Registered
369 Posts
28.5 volts is just slightly over 200w which is a great spot. You’ll definitely want to run a HP crossover on the GZs set to about 70. They probably can’t play 60 and 80Hz sells them short. So yea, 28.5v and HP to 70 and you’re rippin

·
Registered
9 Posts
28.5 volts is just slightly over 200w which is a great spot. You’ll definitely want to run a HP crossover on the GZs set to about 70. They probably can’t play 60 and 80Hz sells them short. So yea, 28.5v and HP to 70 and you’re rippin
Thanks for the reply’s. So, your saying on the amp I should have it set to the high pass switch side and the xover in the 70 range? Never really dealt with amps before so I apologize for the probably dumb question.
I’m running a jvc hu. Should I leave it flat or put it on a “premade eq”? Thanks again.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Correct on the HP and 70.
You can monkey around with the EQ settings and pick what you like best. You’ll want to steer clear of the HU has a bass boost setting or anything like that. You’re asking for problems. Don’t sweat asking questions man, knowledge is for sharin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Correct on the HP and 70.
You can monkey around with the EQ settings and pick what you like best. You’ll want to steer clear of the HU has a bass boost setting or anything like that. You’re asking for problems. Don’t sweat asking questions man, knowledge is for sharin
Yeah I had figured the “bass boost” and “loudness” was best left alone from what I’d read. Just wasn’t sure outside of that. Really appreciate it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts