Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bike without the H-D® Smart Security System... Can the HD security system be installed DIY or does the dealer have to program it?

Is there any better systems out there besides the H-D® Smart Security System?

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
I bought my bike without the H-D® Smart Security System... Can the HD security system be installed DIY or does the dealer have to program it?

Is there any better systems out there besides the H-D® Smart Security System?
If you buy the Fobs and TSSM paired it's an easy DIY install, as far as other systems being better, probably so, I'll let somebody else chime in on that, I've always been happy with the HD OEM system, I installed the one on the bike I have now, might have taken 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The installation is a DIY job. But the alarm FOBs must be paired to the system using the Harley Technician. So the motorcycle must be taken to the dealer. The Alarm was an "Active" system. That means you are required to do some kind of action to activate/deactivate the system. It was just a "Plug-N-Play" system. The newer alarm is a "Passive" alarm system. That means no action is needed to activate/deactivate the alarm. All that is needed is to walk within range with the FOB and it works. Because it is a "Passive" system, you will need to take the motorcycle to the dealer to activate the alarm.

I have had a Harley Alarm on my last and current bike. I had a 1998 Ultra. I installed it using the Retro kit. The system on my current Road Glide was installed when new. I have had different (Not Harley) systems on earlier motorcycles I have had before. In my opinion, the Harley system is the best I have had. Everything must run through the alarm. And if activated, it kills the bike. The Harley alarm is part of the wiring, not just attached or added to the wiring. Even if you cut the battery and jumper it, the bike will not run. everything, including the ignition runs through it. If alarm activate nothing will activate or run.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably buy the kit and install it myself. But if I have to take it to the dealer to activate the alarm, and the harley tech activates the alarm system I'm guessing it's done in the ECM? If so, is that a different process than fuel management? I just don't want them flashing my ECM and cause issues with my fuel management, the map I'm currently running is spot on......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Doesn't that little $6 alarm still require the security system to be installed? I am guessing this would be alternative to the siren the HD offers in addition to the security system, correct?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably buy the kit and install it myself. But if I have to take it to the dealer to activate the alarm, and the harley tech activates the alarm system I'm guessing it's done in the ECM? If so, is that a different process than fuel management? I just don't want them flashing my ECM and cause issues with my fuel management, the map I'm currently running is spot on......
No, using the Digital Tech laptop to turn your alarm on has nothing to do with your tune. It's just a matter of turning on the features. It's not over writing anything.

·
Registered
200 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts