Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thank you for a perfect fit on my 2011 RGC. I will be installing the second one sometime this week. Waiting for my painter to finish up my Hogtunes lids in Sedona Orange. And may I say the color is spot on. I have see numerous threads about that color. A true professional can get i done. It was not cheap but you all know the saying... You get what you pay for. I will post more pics of the other side and if anyone wants I took pics of the tear down. I a am novice, rookie, wet behind the ears and i did it. Although I havent put it back together so well see how that goes. Good thing I have pictures to reference. I am spending my time doing the stereo upgrade keeping the Harmon Kardon HU. Soldered wires, heatshrink tubing, and so on. Probably not up to par with a professional but at least I can say I did it myself...

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Added. couple more pics. Sounds Awesome! My issue is that the Hogtunes Striker Plate brackets wont stay stuck on where it latches to the bags. For the money I spent and doing it myself I amazed even myself. Well worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Added. couple more pics. Sounds Awesome! My issue is that the Hogtunes Striker Plate brackets wont stay stuck on where it latches to the bags. For the money I spent and doing it myself I amazed even myself. Well worth the time and effort.
I had the same problem with striker plates, at first I went and bought HD plates to replace but while they were on order I tried this:
Get the thin 3M double sided automotive tape from an auto parts store, heat the striker plate a little bit and install tape to the striker. Then install striker to lid hold for a minute or two then close the lid to the bag, the pressure will clamp the two together. I haven't had an issue since in all weather.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a common issue. Hogtunes is sending me out a new pair free of charge. But still going to try the tape since that is most convenient for me.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
thanks for the positive feedback

it's nice to have a a-la-carte system where you pick the pieces and put it together yourself

like when I did my bars, 54 isolated solder joints, then pulled the wires through, inch by inch, but it all worked, 27k miles later, it still wasn't cheap, about $260 for the bars, then another $300 for the magnum shield cables and ring pliers to swap the cable, the wire I used was some hog tunes wire harness, cut to 9" lengths, which I found on ebay for $5 or so

re: rockford, I also like the PEQ dial that the PBR300x2 accepts - it's not perfect but grabbing a dial to boost treble on the fly is easier than surfing through menus, I installed one on each amp, then installed them next to the ACC switch, which powers my GPS for those rare occasions

you have to find the sweet spot for the PEQ to be most effective, again about 55% amp, I switched from a Sony to an Alpine head unit, and I am still messing around with the db gain, which is 18 plus or minus, so far, -6db, -5db, -7db are the front runners

the Alpine seems to press more gain, but that can also backfire with clarity and over run the amps quicker

once finished, every setting you had in the garage seems to go out the window, if a bike had them, versus around town and highway listening, in the end, flatter is better, although the bass is fun, it kills the speakers quicker, treble kills your hearing so.. it's all good, I keep mine just above the 4" exhaust note and work well

it's also good to freshen up the ground, once a year, I let mine go 3 years and had back end corrosion, freshened it up, and the problems went away

I need some hog tunes 6x9 lids in matte, 5x7 CVO lids look good but speaker options are few and far between

1 - 8 of 8 Posts