Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Bummer! I don't know how this can happen there is only 1 gasket involved in a cam swap. If the leak is coming from the cam cover maybe the tech didn't tighten the bolts correctly. Try getting a allen wrench and check the bolts.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I tried tightening the bolts. Not sure if leaking from the pushrod tube or what. But it's leaking and getting worse. I'm hoping its not a cylinder base gasket.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
There should be no need to remove the cylinder. The cam cover gasket or the O-rings for the pushrod tubes are really the only things that should have been touched. On the off chance that they didn't put in adjustable rods, youd have the rocker box gaskets.

clean the oil off thoroughly. Run the bike and see where it starts to weep. Don't ride it, just let it run in the driveway. At least then youll know where its coming from and will be able to call BS on the dealer if necessary.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Looks like you need to replace the damaged or missing O ring. Probably less than 30 minute job

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks like you need to replace the damaged or missing O ring. Probably less than 30 minute job
Not a serious issue, but it's definitely more than a 30 minute fix, unless the problem is only a poorly seated O ring. It looks like the O ring is either damaged or not installed. To replace it, you need to pull your push rod tube clip and disassemble and remove the push rod so you can get the new O ring in. Then re-install the pushrod and tubes, re-adjust the push rod and snap the push rod tube into place.

As an alternative, you can remove your gas tank, top rocker box cover and rockers. That will allow you to pull the push rod and install the new push rod tube O ring. Than you put it back together. This will not require re-adjustment of the push rod. (You will need both a 7/16" and 1/2" dog bone torque adapter and torque wrench for reassembly.)

While the second method seems much more complicated, I prefer it as I have the tools and can perform that operation faster than the first. Disassembling, reassembling and adjusting the push rod is a PITA!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
You say you can build a small block chevy motor,cut the front 6 clys off it then turn it side ways,lol with a good manual you will have no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.