Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of trying to decide on a new seat for my 2006 RG. My dad has a Harley Hammock seat on his 2005 Ultra Classic and he loves it, so last night I decided I would swap it over to my bike to see what it felt like to at least sit on it. My RG has the Harley adjustable backrest which I absolutely love, but I found when I put the Hammock on my bike that the adjustable backrest bracket seems to be too far forward and presses against the seat. Does anybody have any experience with this issue or know if something isn't lined up right?

· Registered
617 Posts
I have a hammock on my '12 custom with a Mustang driver backrest. The slit in the seat is a little to far forward and the backrest pushes the back of the slit back. Not quite right but sure is a comfy combo.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
I am in the process of trying to decide on a new seat for my 2006 RG. My dad has a Harley Hammock seat on his 2005 Ultra Classic and he loves it, so last night I decided I would swap it over to my bike to see what it felt like to at least sit on it. My RG has the Harley adjustable backrest which I absolutely love, but I found when I put the Hammock on my bike that the adjustable backrest bracket seems to be too far forward and presses against the seat. Does anybody have any experience with this issue or know if something isn't lined up right?
I have the same set up, the hammock and the adjustable backrest. Make sure you have the backrest base plate installed in the correct position on the frame. The seat material is pliable enough to allow you to adjust it to the rearward most position with out compromising the seat. I had a local seat guy recover mine in buffalo leather so its much stronger than the MoCo vinyl.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
when you bought the adjustable rider backrest, it came with a piece of plastic to install on the seat where the rest base rubs the fabric, to protect the fabric from friction. When I had my seat recovered, the seat builder forgot to re-install the protector so, I glued a scrap piece of leather I had laying around from trimming my chaps, to the underside of the seat where the base rubs, now, no worries. leather is protected and the base can rub all day without damaging the seat.

· Registered
2,151 Posts
Doesn't the adjustable backrest have different bolt holes so you can mount it in different positions?
The adjustable backrest that is remote operated does not have multiple mounting holes. I have the same setup with the Hammock. it does stretch the hole a bit and as sfcusaret2004 said, there is a plastic piece to help protect the seat..

I m thinking of cutting down the backrest to stop the stretching of the seat.

IdiSweden on this forum did a nice write up of how he did it.

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=16246

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I m thinking of cutting down the backrest to stop the stretching of the seat.

IdiSweden on this forum did a nice write up of how he did it.

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=16246
This could help, I guess the issue I saw was that I had to push the adjustable "back" as far as it would go to even get the backrest in. The whole bracket would have to go back on the fender, which I could either drill two new holes or elongate the ones there but the front mount for the bracket wouldn't really allow it to be moved back.

· Registered
2,122 Posts
I had the same problem. I didn't really get the benefit out of the adjustable "on the fly" back rest, always had it all the way back anyway. I'm not a fabricator able to cut down and reweld the bracket of the one I had so I sold the remotely adjustable and replaced it with a Kuryakyn model 1670 which was about $150 from these guys:

http://www.directcycleparts.com/sea...1670-plug-driver-backrest-touring-p-9394.html

Swap out is under half and hour and the Hammock fits nicely now. I would have gone with the regular adjustable Harley equivalent but it was about $250 & tax, the reason for going with the Kury part. Mustang has a good one too but was $215ish at best. An added benefit is there isn't the cable to contend with now, it was rubbing on the paint on the fender some too.

Overall, I'm happy, the Hammock is way more comfortable than stock and with a back rest, 500+ mile days in the saddle are a pleasure.

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TRUBlue, I am beginning to wonder if that isn't my best route if I go with a Hammock. My dad just got a non-adjustable Harley backrest and it fits fine with the seat. I guess I was just hoping to keep the adjustable rest since it was on there when I bought the bike and someone else had already burned the money to buy it.

On a side note, does anyone have an opinion on the Mustang touring seats and will that work with this adjustable back rest or is it the same issue as the Hammock?

· Registered
463 Posts
I have a hammock on my '12 custom with a Mustang driver backrest. The slit in the seat is a little to far forward and the backrest pushes the back of the slit back. Not quite right but sure is a comfy combo.
I have the exact opposite 'problem' where on my Hammock seat the slit is too far back the the Mustang backrest blade pushes the slit forward. I still have to come up with something to protect the seat. I like the idea of gluing a heavy piece of leather on it and will try that. I've heard some people say they just use a couple strips of black duck tape since you don't see it anyway.

FWIW, I love my Mustang back rest and my Harley Hammock. I just traded my '13 RGC for a '13 RGC CVO and both those things got stripped from the old bike and immediately installed on the new!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.