Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed on my last RGC and now on the RGC CVO that my Hammock rubs the inside front corner of the saddle bag lid while I ride. The gap when I'm not sitting is not even - about a half inch on the left, at least a full inch on the right. I'm a big guy which I'm sure doesn't help. And not sure I sit perfectly straight but don't feel like I lean. Maybe i got a slightly defective seat? Just wondering if anyone else has this issue with their Hammocks and RGC. Will post some photos of the area that rubs. Worried it will eventually damage seat and/or lid.

Update: I found the reason my Hammock was rubbing. I sit with my weight shifted onto my right sit-bone (from years of sitting this way in my car) and because of this combined with my excessive weight it pushes the seat to the left and down. I had a couple buddies that sit straight up and weight a good 50-75 pounds less then me (I'm 250) the seat does not make contact with the saddlebag lid.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I 220lbs and mine doesn't rub. I will have to look when I get home to see what the spacing is.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, dirtyb. I typically run around 220 as well although I'm up around 250 right now after an awful, injury prone winter that kept me from working out. But I noticed the issue down at 220 as well!

Please let me know if your gap is the same or different on each side.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The stock seat on my 03 did that. I think the foam in that seat just broke down after so many miles. Not really sure how those Hammock seats are constructed but it may just be wore out.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I didn't measure it but mine looks to be equal distance on each side. Have you talked to a dealer about it? Maybe thedude is right, how many miles are on the seat roughly? I know the don't last for ever.

·
Registered
482 Posts
When I bought my 07 it had an actual spot that was so worn on the corner of the lid, the paint was gone and the plastic corner was worn down. I was able to adjust the bags back some to gain a little on each side. This was on the stock seat.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Just looked and the left side of mine is rubbing also in the same place as yours. Seat has about 19k on it. 2013 custom. How long these seats suppose to last? BTW 200# here.
Also look like there is a lot less gap on the side that's rubbing.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The seat is two years old, bought it shortly after buying the bike. About 12k miles on it. I'll show it to the dealer and see what he thinks. We really like the seat, especially the wife. Might have to try something else though.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Try loosing the bag brackets to get the bags back and possibly down a little more. There is a little adjustment in them.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
6'0" 260lbs. I run a custom upholstered hammock seat on my 08. No rubbing in that area that I am aware of, now that I see this post I will check. Did have some contact between the seat and the top of the side cover. I put some 3M clear hood protection material on it to protect the paint.

I agree on adjusting the saddlebag latches slightly but you may also want to try some 3M clear paint protection on that part of the saddlebag.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was thinking about adding some type of clear tape protection in that area to protect the bag lid finish - can you tell me what exactly you are using, maybe a photo of the packaging if you have it?

And also, some more details on the moving of the bag would be helpful. I plan to try both.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts