Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here it goes fellas, any of you here using an upgraded handlebar clamp, I went with 14 inch apes and torqued bars to specifications, 16 to 20 ft pounds seems good to me, but was wondering if I needed something heavier, did you guys also use stock torque specs or went higher. I know Hill county customs makes a heavy duty top clamp, looks beefy but do I need it, and if anyone has one , please feel free to chime in. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I've put lots of 12s and 14s on at work and even have 14s on my own bike, all with the stock top clamp. Never had an issue. Yes, I do torque the 4 bolts down just a little over factory spec. If the bars have knurling on them, they shouldn't have any issues. On the few bars that I have done, that the customer has supplied and there was no knurling, I would drill and tap the top clamp and put a small allen set screw.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay great , if you guys went a bit over stock torque, what did you set it at? I set it at 20 ft pounds like the service manual stated, my bars are excellent quality and have a good knurling on them.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Okay great , if you guys went a bit over stock torque, what did you set it at? I set it at 20 ft pounds like the service manual stated, my bars are excellent quality and have a good knurling on them.
You'll be fine at torque as long as you went with the service manual sequence. You start messing around and you'll end up rounding out a head or snapping a fastener.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I torqued them all evenlly in a criss cross pattern to spec seems good to me, so I am good with that. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts