Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys not for sure what sec.this sould be in so i went here ...
so i have an 08 road glide ,stock bars and 14" windvest ... that said ,my handle bars ,well my mirror and front brake lever hits the windsheild ..im 6'4" tall with a tall boy seat and i rolled my handle bars up til they were parallel with the forks. didnt want to go any more, cause the pull back starts getting weird..anyway i would like to put taller bars on but not sure if that goin to cure my mirror /windsheild problem ?? hope somebody has some help for me thanks ???

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Adjust, adjust, adjust...

Lots to play with. Handle bar angle, mirror position, had control position on the bear ends, etc.

I installed a GPS a few years ago, and was quite proud that I had it in a position that I could see all the gauges, had a great viewing angle and could reach all the switches on the dash.

Started to back the bike out of the garage, and found out the bottom of the GPS bracket was hitting the fuel door. Coulda been dangerous if I hadn't caught it then, as it limited the steering angle by quite a bit.

Lesson learned, I always check for full swing now when I work on anything on the front end...

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
The HD heritage style handlebars may cure your problem, I have them on my 08 and I love them.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I had the same problem with my Cee Bailys Euro. I adjusted the bars back towards me just enough to clear. Now with the Madstad shield I was able to push the bars back out some.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Every time you make a change, check all possible interferences before riding. I installed a Garmin mount on a bike that was being struck, just barely, by my mirror. That is when I figured out that anything new needed to be checked before riding. My new Cee Bailey windshield and new Garmin mount got placed, but not installed and I swung the bars fully from side to side. I then moved the Garmin mount about 1/2 inch up before making a permanent attachment. Isn't it great when you can learn from your mistakes and nobody gets hurt?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok guys not for sure what sec.this sould be in so i went here ...
so i have an 08 road glide ,stock bars and 14" windvest ... that said ,my handle bars ,well my mirror and front brake lever hits the windsheild ..im 6'4" tall with a tall boy seat and i rolled my handle bars up til they were parallel with the forks. didnt want to go any more, cause the pull back starts getting weird..anyway i would like to put taller bars on but not sure if that goin to cure my mirror /windsheild problem ?? hope somebody has some help for me thanks ???
I recommend you change to Heritage style bars. I just put them on my 2012 RGU. I am 6'-2" and with the stock seat I needed the grips to be higher and back a little so I could lean back a little on the long hauls. Heritage style bars are just the ticket. $79.95 for the bars and you do not have to change any of your cables. Took me about four hours to make the swap but I also put the chrome switch covers on while I was at it. Just did 160 miles today, the bars are perfect.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info guys .. think im gonna go with some wild ones 12" the narrow ones ..i dont know what i want ... just ask my wife !!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am also 6'4" with 39 inch arms. Went with 12" Outlaws and can have them just past straight with the forks toward the WS. Did them just before I left for Sturgis last Sunday, 2500 +or-, miles of smiles so far. I have a 16" KlockWorks WS for reference.
SD

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have heritage style bars on my bike (for the time being). I had pushed them back and now they are as forward as they can get. I can't find a comfortable position because either my shoulder blades hurt or my hands get numb.

My right mirror hits my 13" Windvest. I ordered New Wave 2 bars from BR Customs and they should be in this week. Hopefully this will help with getting the bars back enough and comfortable for me as to not bang my windshield when I turn the handlebars completely to the right.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Have the same issue with my 14'' Windvest and the 12'' KW bars I put on. Rolling them up to where it's 'just right' has them hitting the windshield. Only solution was rolling them back just enough where they don't hit the shield...still bothers me though!

·
Registered
221 Posts
14in Windvest, Willie G Mirrors, and now heritage style bars. With the bars where I want them, my mirror stem hits on both side when I turn the bars fully. I can lock the forks and the stem isn't touching, and the way I see it, I never turn the bars full anyway. If there's some kind of emergency and I NEED to turn them all the way, I can, it just pushes the windshield out and doesn't do any real damage.

I'd rather be comfortable with were my bars are at most of the time, and just deal with the windshield problem when I have to. I like the height, and I love the mirrors up that high.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts