Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on installing a new head unit, speakers, and amp in my 2001 FLTRSEI2. I see that Hawgwired has a control adapter for handlebar controls for $140. Is there any better, cheaper options?

Planning on simple upgrade...kappa infinity 62.11i speakers in stock location, sound stream 4.520d amp....head unit undecided.

Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! Next questions, do I need to get a mounting kit for an aftermarket unit if I am staying with a single din unit? I saw hawgwired had a mounting kit....wasn't sure if I needed it. I've also seen posts about splash guards for aftermarket head units.....what is commonly used?
Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
The Scosche install kit along with PAC interface is all you need to install an Aftermarket single din. . The splash cover I used does not fit this install kit though with out being modified. I did not want to skimp on this part as I ride in rain a lot so I bought the install kit and splash cover from the vendor mentioned in my thread.
The new Jenson is an exception, it it totally plug & play and fits in oem mounting holes . It's also water resistant.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Thanks for the info! Next questions, do I need to get a mounting kit for an aftermarket unit if I am staying with a single din unit? I saw hawgwired had a mounting kit....wasn't sure if I needed it. I've also seen posts about splash guards for aftermarket head units.....what is commonly used?
Thanks guys!!
Big Gary is right the schoshe kit has it but I read some bad reviews and was happy I got the VTWIN audio universal install kit. Pretty solid piece although another 80 bucks. Finished product is good though. Just did a few hours ago.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
Big Gary is right the schoshe kit has it but I read some bad reviews and was happy I got the VTWIN audio universal install kit. Pretty solid piece although another 80 bucks. Finished product is good though. Just did a few hours ago.

Lookin good Laxin.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Planning on installing the same setup with lid speakers as well in the next week or two. I can take lots of pictures if you want. Just have to get the free time. Im using the schoshe kit with the PAC and a Kenwood head unit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jensen HD1BT
I'm a little concerned about Jensen....they are not known for quality products....just read reviews on Amazon...all had differing complaints with the quality of the head unit and plug and play....I didn't like the aesthetics of the unit either.

What's a popularly used aftermarket head unit, single DIN, for the early roadglide?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
I'm a little concerned about Jensen....they are not known for quality products....just read reviews on Amazon...all had differing complaints with the quality of the head unit and plug and play....I didn't like the aesthetics of the unit either.

What's a popularly used aftermarket head unit, single DIN, for the early roadglide?
Thanks!!
I hooked one up a few months ago. I can a sure you it's plug&play . So far it's still working fine in my buddies EG. Is it as nice as my Alpine? , NO , not in my opinion. If I were you, stay with Alpine or Pioneer ,or Sony.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hooked one up a few months ago. I can a sure you it's plug&play . So far it's still working fine in my buddies EG. Is it as nice as my Alpine? , NO , not in my opinion. If I were you, stay with Alpine or Pioneer ,or Sony.
What would be your top three recommendations for a head unit?

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
What would be your top three recommendations for a head unit?
Alpine 149 bt, Pioneer Deh-x6700bs or Sony MEX-GS810bh. If you dont want a CD you could drop a level or two down and save a few bucks.

I got the Alpine and really like it.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Alpine 149 bt, Pioneer Deh-x6700bs or Sony MEX-GS810bh. If you dont want a CD you could drop a level or two down and save a few bucks.

I got the Alpine and really like it.
The Pioneer is what I went with. 112 dollars. Lol

Thanks!!
Jenson is 100% plug and play but for near 500 dollars and ugly, I would go something else. Lol

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
The Pioneer is what I went with. 112 dollars. Lol

Jenson is 100% plug and play but for near 500 dollars and ugly, I would go something else. Lol
Good deal on that Pioneer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts