Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got caught this past Saturday out in a decent rain. My handlebar controls quit working during the ride. Just the stereo controls. As far as troubleshooting goes, what should my steps of action be? I have aftermarket handlebars (10in outlawz) that I had a shop install 4 years ago. I've never touched the wire and know virtually nothing.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
It should be good after drying out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You need to find out what the problem is. When it drys out, if it starts working again take a squirt bottle and work one area at a time and try to recreate it this way you may find the problem area.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
What side did the controls stop working on or did they stop working on both sides?? Sounds like there is a problem somewhere because the handlebar controls should handle all the water mother nature can throw at them.
I rode in down pours for hours at a time on some rides and I take my bike the the $.25 car wash all the time and I soaked the controls and never had any issues.
HD makes the controls pretty much water proof because they know that riders get caught riding in the rain and we also wash our bikes and it would be bad on HD reputation if the bike couldn't handle getting wet.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What side did the controls stop working on or did they stop working on both sides?? Sounds like there is a problem somewhere because the handlebar controls should handle all the water mother nature can throw at them.
I rode in down pours for hours at a time on some rides and I take my bike the the $.25 car wash all the time and I soaked the controls and never had any issues.
HD makes the controls pretty much water proof because they know that riders get caught riding in the rain and we also wash our bikes and it would be bad on HD reputation if the bike couldn't handle getting wet.
Both sides stopped working. I too have gotton them wet plenty of times. They're still not working, so I don't think the whole drying out thing is going to fix it at this point unfortunately.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what's the next step in troubleshooting? Pull the outer fairing and see if anything is loose or unplugged?

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
So what's the next step in troubleshooting? Pull the outer fairing and see if anything is loose or unplugged?
I think these HK radio's, self diagnose them selves . Might want to look for a shop book on the radio.

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
Do the buttons or controls work on the radio itself? Rules of diagnostics usually start with the simple first. You know the hand controls don't work. Try the controls on the radio itself. pick up a service manual and look at the wiring diagrams to try to figure out how the system works.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I forgot to mention I have an aftermarket sony stereo. But yes, the buttons/controls work on the stereo.

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
What handlebar control unit are you using If your radio is aftermarket?

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
I use hawg wire. Its plug and play..

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
You're going to have to pull the fairing off or bring it back to the shop that did it

·
Registered
2012 RGU vivid black
1,595 Posts
Have you tried using a air compressor to try and blow out the controls

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No I haven't. Just blow air into the controls area you think? Also, I don't mind pulling off the outer fairing. Just don't know what to really look for.

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
If your thumb controls don't work on either side (left or right thumb controls) which I assume you have then I doubt it's a switch issue. HD switches are pretty durable since they see every element mother nature throws at us and unlikely both sides falied at the same time. Try compressed air but I'd be willing to bet it's the aftermarket control unit they added to make the thumb controls work with the aftermarket radio. Contact the place that did the work, I'm sure they can tell you which brand of controller they used and go from there. The most popular ones are from Biketronics or Hawgwired. I went with a less popular/expensive PAC controller with the scosche harness which was easy to hook up and has been flawless so far

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
I think I remember someone talking about how loose the HBC module plugs into the back of the Sony's . That might be your problem, just a coincidence it happened during a rain storm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts