Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting on new bars this weekend, 2016 RGS. I know on the 2015 the TBW needs to be de-pinned, thought I saw on here somewhere that the 2016 and up have the smaller connector that will fit through the bars. Anyone know for sure? Either way is fine just want to know in advance what I will encounter.

·
Registered
914 Posts
That is correct. I didn’t have to depin any on my 17. It’s a bitch running them wires tho. You tube makes it look easy, or I am dumb. Good luck !

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm doing my bars this weekend on my 2016 RGS as well. I got the stock bars off tonight and didn't have to de-pin the TBW cable. There are two smaller plugs on the end (see pic) and they can be pulled through the bars. However, when I pulled my gauges, only the plug on top in the pic was connected, the bottom one was not plugged into anything. I suppose it's possible that i inadvertently disconnected it when I pulled the gauges, but I'm not sure. Does anybody know if they both are supposed to by plugged in?

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm doing my bars this weekend on my 2016 RGS as well. I got the stock bars off tonight and didn't have to de-pin the TBW cable. There are two smaller plugs on the end (see pic) and they can be pulled through the bars. However, when I pulled my gauges, only the plug on top in the pic was connected, the bottom one was not plugged into anything. I suppose it's possible that i inadvertently disconnected it when I pulled the gauges, but I'm not sure. Does anybody know if they both are supposed to by plugged in?
Pre-wired for heated grips, so if you don't have heated grips installed the lower plug of your picture will not be plugged into anything. Just finished putting new bars on today, with heated grips, I love the fact that HD pre-wires the bikes now.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you tie a boot string to the end of the wires and use an air compressor. the use air compressor to rout the loose end of the boot string through the handlebar. Then gently pull the boot string with the wires through.

Did that when I installed a new handlebars on my 2016 Road Glide Ultra. Good luck!

·
Registered
973 Posts
What I like to do is get a length of the pull chain like you'd use for a ceiling fan, and attach a small nut on the end of it to act as a weight. The chain is very flexible as you know, so it flows through the bars easily. Once you fish the chain through the bars, attach your wires and pull em back through. I've used this trick several times with great success.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
The last time I did it the chain broke on me, use a good chain or boot lace or weed wacker cord. Push/pull, push a couple inched in, pull a couple out-repeat.

Have fun!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did mine thi9s past weekend. No de pinning necessary on the 2016, I assume that the unused plug is for heated grips as mine was not connected either. I put on KW kliphangers, what a bitch getting the connectors through the holes between the grip portion and the main bars. Managed to break a piece of plastic removing the switch assembly, got it back together somewhat precariously. I soaped the sheathing to help with the pull and pushing, it's amazing what a little lube will do.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got my riser bushings and bars installed over the weekend as well. Yes, pulling the wires was a bitch and yes the soap as lube helped. I even took it out for a ride yesterday in 38 degree weather. New bars are awesome. I also installed new Kuryakyn Kinetic grips which is where i ran into a problem. On the throttle side, the inside diameter of the new grip is a tad small so the throttle sticks open. I'm thinking I'll have to sand the inside of the grip a bit to make it work. Stock throttle grip works fine on the new bars so I know it's the new grip that's the issue and not the new bars, which is good because I don't want to sand the new bars or change them out! Here's a couple pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
914 Posts
I got my riser bushings and bars installed over the weekend as well. Yes, pulling the wires was a bitch and yes the soap as lube helped. I even took it out for a ride yesterday in 38 degree weather. New bars are awesome. I also installed new Kuryakyn Kinetic grips which is where i ran into a problem. On the throttle side, the inside diameter of the new grip is a tad small so the throttle sticks open. I'm thinking I'll have to sand the inside of the grip a bit to make it work. Stock throttle grip works fine on the new bars so I know it's the new grip that's the issue and not the new bars, which is good because I don't want to sand the new bars or change them out! Here's a couple pics.
They look good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts