Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at purchasing some beach bars. Only thing is they say they dont have the knurled part. What else do I need to install these bars. Do I need anything diffrent or can I just install them. They are drag specialties 1" beach bars. I just need to know if I need to buy anything else to install them. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
My personal choice is to NEVER buy bars without the knurling. They will slip at the most inopportune time.

I had a set of monkey bars on an old BSA years ago without the knurling (what did I know). Coming home from work one evening I pulled up to a stop sign about the time a full grown German Shepard decided he wanted to check out my front wheel. I popped the clutch and brought up the front wheel and the bars decided they didn't support my weight at that angle. They came back into my lap and it's a good thing I was close to home so I could check my pants in privacy.

There is too many bars out there with knurling to use those. JMO.:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i dont know if that can happen with beach bars, but thanks for the advice. LOL. I will keep looking. do you need anything else to install these bars if I decide to go with them anyways?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm not sure why they don't have the knurling but they should for your application. I would look somewhere else and get some that do have the knurling, otherwise they will slip in the clamp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bars

just purchased Baron Big Johnsons Beach bar style 5.5" high 13" pullback 38" wide knurled and 1.5" diameter & time will tell if I like them, still waiting for the snow to melt !!!

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
I had a set of bars once without knurels on an other bike. They always slipped . Never again will I buy bars without knurels.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
As for installing bars without knurling, no way. I've had knurled bars move on me so I can't imagine not having it.

Not to hijack but does anyone here on RG.O have beach bars on a Road Glide? I love beach bars. They look great on a Deluxe or a Road King and are super comfortable. It never dawned on me to put them on a Roadie.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I had 16 inch apes without knurling, they slipped. I ended up drilling and taping my handlebar mount and handlebars. They never slipped again.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I would agree with all the comments about the knurling. I am on my third bars, all have had knurling. Once you get them torqued down, no slippage. The clamp is designed for knurled bars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts