Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My WO612s are soon to be on their way and I have a few questions before the install.

1) Soldering. Is there a kit I can buy that will cover my bases for the TBW plug? I soldered in a class years ago, but have no idea what size wire I'll need.

2) Tape. I keep seeing the "use high quality tape." What is considered high quality tape? I'm also considering shrink wrap but not sure what kind to use.

3) TBW plug. Seen plenty of pictures on here of that green plug and people saying to cut it out and solder, which is my plan. Do I just use scissors and cut the wire on either end of the green plug to eliminate and then solder the newly exposed wires?

Thanks in advance for the help. After I get the job done, hopefully I can contribute to other people's bar installs as pay back. Be on the lookout for my Emergency Help thread when the install begins lol

· Registered
1,561 Posts
High Quality tape means....Don;t buy the cheap stuff from Harbor Freight. Buy some good quality stuff form ACE, Home Depot or Lowes.

As far as the Green TBW plug. Be careful when you cut and resolver the wires. There are 2 of each color and you don't want to get them mixed up. I would suggest you cut and solder one at a time to prevent issues.

Reactions: Javaman

· Registered
21 Posts
You shouldnt have to extend your wires with 12" bars. Stock wires and cables are long enough for these bars. I would just undo the pins from the control connectors without cutting wires. Make sure to draw a diagram or take a bunch of pictures so you know where each pin/wire goes into the connector. You can leave the TBW connector alone or cut and splice to get rid of the bulk and easier to pull. Again, take pictures or write down which wire matches up with each other cause they are different colors like HD4CRUZIN said above.

· Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You shouldnt have to extend your wires with 12" bars. Stock wires and cables are long enough for these bars. I would just undo the pins from the control connectors without cutting wires. Make sure to draw a diagram or take a bunch of pictures so you know where each pin/wire goes into the connector. You can leave the TBW connector alone or cut and splice to get rid of the bulk and easier to pull. Again, take pictures or write down which wire matches up with each other cause they are different colors like HD4CRUZIN said above.
BigAce, thanks for the reply. That's the reason I'm going with 12s is so I don't have to do anything with cables/wires. My question was in regards to the TBW connector and how to disconnect it. From what I understand, you just cut it out of the line with scissors and then solder the newly cut lines together. And thanks for Donk's write up. Saw that a while ago and will be my primary blueprint for getting through the project!

· Registered
657 Posts
Why cut it out - you might not have to extend the wires.
Not sure if the green connector will fit with the other wires internally as well.
Why create a problem for yourself if you don't have to.

Best of luck on your project and, we look forward to your pictures and comments about the installation.

· Registered
492 Posts
For about $60, you can replace the green tbw plug with the screaming eagle replacement version. No cutting, plug and play.
+1 on this. That $60 might save you some headache if you're not confident with your soldering skills. Just a thought.

· Registered
492 Posts
Nightrain 04 is correct, about $105 through the MoCo. Online dealers have them for as low as $84. P/N 32310-08.

· Registered
329 Posts
I'll be safe than sorry and do this when I do my 12-inchers...btw, does anyone have pics of their 12-inches on their RoadGlides they'd like to post up?...front, side, rear shots would be great....THANKS!

· Registered
329 Posts

· Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I get home this afternoon I'll hit you up. PM me with an email address or phone number and I'll send pics so you can see better resolution pics

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.