Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a guy who owns a motorycle shop that is going to replace my handlebars with the 12" Wild Ones Outlaws. He is telling me that he does not need to take the fairing off when he replaces them, this is why he is only charging me $100. Everything I see on this website everyone always takes the fairing off. Does anyone know why he would be telling me that he is not going to take the fairing off?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
If your just changing bars then no you do not have to take the fairing off. If your going to have them internally wired then yes you have to take the fairing off.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I installed those same bars (internally wired) and took 8 to 10 hours, and yes, the outer fairing must be removed. If he'll do all that for $100 - he must be a very good friend!

·
Registered
836 Posts
He is out of his mind. He definitely won't be internally wiring them which I think for apes on these glides is a must for a clean look. Just read donks thread and do it up man. I did it last night but if I was doing it for someone who wasn't a friend it would be way more than 100. And its not that its difficult just time consuming.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Wild Ones Outlawz are designed for internal wiring and that means fairing removal. I suppose it's possible to wire-tie the control wire sheaths to the bars, negating the need for fairing removal, but that'll look like crap IMO. (I've seen some guys who wrap the bars/wire bundle with a leather wrap but you'd have to be into that look.) And if you look at your stock bars, you'll see a smooth dimple where the wires exit the control housing ... bars designed for internal wiring don't have this dimple, but a cutout hole to run the wires - if you keep the bundle on the outside, it can cause pinched wires if forced.

Ask him how much time needed to internally wire - if he says anything less than 4-5 hours (at minimum), find someone else - he doesn't know what he's doing.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
This is too funny, all this speculation about internal wiring and all the op asked is if was necessary to remove the fairing to replace the bars.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
If his bike is TBW, pretty sure the need to internally wire is not speculation. That is how his bars would be wired now. Whether speculation or not, I think most of the folks who replied to his question, myself included, were speaking from their own experience. One way or the other, he got his answer with additional info he may not have considered. Dunno.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Maybe he's gonna go through the right muffler for the internal wiring,,,:p

:DBeavz
The TBW is only 6 wires and can be done without removing the fairing. All you need to do is remove the speedo/tach housing to access the wires. And again its speculation because the op doesn't even state what his m/c is.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
This is too funny, all this speculation about internal wiring and all the op asked is if was necessary to remove the fairing to replace the bars.
Not sure what your point is ... the bars he wants to use are designed to be internally wired and that means fairing removal. That's not "speculation" but fact. Like I said, it's possible to keep wires routed to the outside but that's not what most people opt for with these kind of bars. Whether or not the bike is TBW is inconsequential.

If he wanted to use Heritage style bars, sure ... no need to remove the fairing but that's not what the OP is using.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Not sure what your point is ... the bars he wants to use are designed to be internally wired and that means fairing removal. That's not "speculation" but fact. Like I said, it's possible to keep wires routed to the outside but that's not what most people opt for with these kind of bars. Whether or not the bike is TBW is inconsequential.

If he wanted to use Heritage style bars, sure ... no need to remove the fairing but that's not what the OP is using.
And we all care enough to not let him just go get it done that way b/c while some may find it acceptable it's not the right way or better looking way.

So, as some have said before no you don't need to remove fairing, but if you don't mind having the cable sheathing hanging out like they do now with the stock bars, go for it. THen yes, a $100.00 sound reasonable, but as easy as that option is you could do it yourself.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
On my 08 I installed the heritage style handlebars and I had to remove the outer fairing even though the only wires that were internal were the TBW wires. In order to get the TGS connector out of the end of handlebars far enough to disconnect it I had to remove the outer fairing and disconnect the TBW wiring harness to get enough slack in the wires. I did replace the TGS this year and the new TGS wires were shorter then my original TGS wires and it moved the connector that was inside the inner fairing closer to the instrument nacelle. IMO it only takes 10 minutes to remove the outer fairing so whats the big deal about removing the outer fairing anyways.

·
Registered
836 Posts
On my 08 I installed the heritage style handlebars and I had to remove the outer fairing even though the only wires that were internal were the TBW wires. In order to get the TGS connector out of the end of handlebars far enough to disconnect it I had to remove the outer fairing and disconnect the TBW wiring harness to get enough slack in the wires. I did replace the TGS this year and the new TGS wires were shorter then my original TGS wires and it moved the connector that was inside the inner fairing closer to the instrument nacelle. IMO it only takes 10 minutes to remove the outer fairing so whats the big deal about removing the outer fairing anyways.
I agree. the fairing removal is the easy part of the process. Also to unplug the connectors the outer needs to be removed. I still say as long as your have a basic torx/wrench set with some needle nose pliers your can do the job yourself and you will learn more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for all the replies. Sounds like I will probably just be doing it myself. Should I replace the bushings with poly ones while I have the bars off?

·
Registered
468 Posts
He is out of his mind. He definitely won't be internally wiring them which I think for apes on these glides is a must for a clean look. Just read donks thread and do it up man. I did it last night but if I was doing it for someone who wasn't a friend it would be way more than 100. And its not that its difficult just time consuming.
Im getting ready to do mine and dreading it. RedneckMedic66 do you need any new friends? I'd pay someone 100 bucks but theres no way you can internally wire these without taking the fairingoff

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Im getting ready to do mine and dreading it. RedneckMedic66 do you need any new friends? I'd pay someone 100 bucks but theres no way you can internally wire these without taking the fairingoff
Taking the outer fairing off and putting it back on is sooooo easy. You will have a lot harder time running internal wiring on the handlebars.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Redneckmedic don't sweat it. Hardest part, in my opinion, was putting the fairing back on. Paperclip to pull apart wire plugs and run a line through the bars to pull the wires, I used weed wacker twine last time. And do away with the green TBW plug or reinstall it lower in the wiring. The Road Glide was a piece of cake compared to the Street Glide.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Thank you for all the replies. Sounds like I will probably just be doing it myself. Should I replace the bushings with poly ones while I have the bars off?
The polys are definitly better than the stock ones. If you don't want to spend the money its not a big deal, the height of your bars isn't crazy where it would be a neccesity to do the polys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts