Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped out the handlebars on my 18 RGS. I went with a 13 inch standard ape from Road 6 Customs. Got everything swapped out and put back together but bike doesn't start. The only thing that happens when I turn the ignition is the lights come on. I get no radio the screen of the radio doesn't even come on. I checked the fuses on left side and the 5A fuse labeled battery was blown. I grabbed the spare fuse and as soon as I put it in there was a tiny spark and it blew as well. Any suggestions on what I did wrong. I have double checked that all connectors were reconnected properly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just swapped out the handlebars on my 18 RGS. I went with a 13 inch standard ape from Road 6 Customs. Got everything swapped out and put back together but bike doesn't start. The only thing that happens when I turn the ignition is the lights come on. I get no radio the screen of the radio doesn't even come on. I checked the fuses on left side and the 5A fuse labeled battery was blown. I grabbed the spare fuse and as soon as I put it in there was a tiny spark and it blew as well. Any suggestions on what I did wrong. I have double checked that all connectors were reconnected properly.

Doesn’t sound good, you have have torn the plastic coated on one set of wires running them through the bars causing a short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
You have a short somewhere. Pull the bars and pull all the wiring back out and see where the bare wire is. Those bars are super easy to pull wires. Did you have to pull hard? Should he pushing and more guiding out. Than pulling though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I'm going to go ahead and pull the wiring back out of the handlebars and check all of it. I've swapped out bars before on other bikes I've owned and was very careful feeding then thru. But mistakes could've happened. They actually fed thru really easily. I love the smaller plugs and the fact that they have the sheathing on them. Thanks for the replies. I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Today I'm going to go ahead and pull the wiring back out of the handlebars and check all of it. I've swapped out bars before on other bikes I've owned and was very careful feeding then thru. But mistakes could've happened. They actually fed thru really easily. I love the smaller plugs and the fact that they have the sheathing on them. Thanks for the replies. I'll keep y'all posted.
Good luck. hope it's simple and obvious. Quick easy fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found the problem. The clam shell pinched down on the wires on throttle side. I looked them over really good and none are actually cut so I'm gonna try some liquid electrical tape first. If that don't fix it I'm going to go get new wire kit for throttle side.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Found the problem. The clam shell pinched down on the wires on throttle side. I looked them over really good and none are actually cut so I'm gonna try some liquid electrical tape first. If that don't fix it I'm going to go get new wire kit for throttle side.
Ouch. Yep. that's for sure your issue. Glad ya got it worked out. I'd do the tape and order the kit. Or just unhook them and heat shrink each one. Glad it was simple for ya.

·
Registered
927 Posts
That does look pretty bad. Look at the bright side. Finding the problem under the clam shell sure beats removing and rewiring the bars. Glad you got it sorted out, and thanks for the followup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts