Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my simple upgrade turned out to be a little more complex. ?. I already have a Memphis audio amp bridged on 6.5 Alpine type R's. I bought speaker lids and was going to just do speakers but that turned into more. What I have now is a new Pioneer head unit, RF 300x4, alpine type R 6x9. My question is what's out there for handlebar controls. I know biketronics. Any other good options. RLAF75 was telling me about PAC steering wheel interface. Anyone with experience with this or any other unit? It's much cheaper but sometimes that's a bad sign. Any input welcome. This sh*! is getting expensive. ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the PAC. $70 is way more affordable than BT. Works fine for me, install was straightforward. It is also programmable to your button preference.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the PAC. $70 is way more affordable than BT. Works fine for me, install was straightforward. It is also programmable to your button preference.

Thanks man. That's what my buddy was saying. The reviews on Amazon scared me. People said it was hard to install. Glad I hear otherwise from you. That was my major concern.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
122 Posts
There is a separate piece I bought from Crutchfield that made wiring very easy. I can't remember what it was called. It was around $20 and made the PAC plug and play. I can't remember if it was just for Sony head units. I'll see if I can find info on it.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
The pre-wired adapter was part of the Harley Scotche install kit. It connects directly to the PAC-SWI.
+1. Also look for Big_garys thread. He did the scosche harness with the PAC controller. There's a few pages on it. That's what I bought for my swap too. It's probably the least expensive way to go

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
+1. Also look for Big_garys thread. He did the scosche harness with the PAC controller. There's a few pages on it. That's what I bought for my swap too. It's probably the least expensive way to go
The PAC with the Scotche adapter has been working flawlessly. It was easy to install and set up. PAC has a new one where 1 switch can be set for 2 commands.
The only downfall is you lose your AVC with the PAC interface.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
The PAC with the Scotche adapter has been working flawlessly. It was easy to install and set up. PAC has a new one where 1 switch can be set for 2 commands.
The only downfall is you lose your AVC with the PAC interface.
I'm just waiting for my bag lids to come back from paint and I'll be starting my radio swap and amp install. I've got the PAC controller and scoshe harness waiting to go

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
I'll update my thread soon. Let ya all know how I ended up programming the PAC with the Alpine bt. I was able to get the most usable dual functions on 1 switch per source, on the cheaper PAC.
On the more expensive PAC you can choose multi functions per switch per source. On the cheaper one , you choose 1 function per switch and when you change source, the switch may work or may not work for an other function ,depending on what is chosen.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I'll update my thread soon. Let ya all know how I ended up programming the PAC with the Alpine bt. I was able to get the most usable dual functions on 1 switch per source, on the cheaper PAC.
On the more expensive PAC you can choose multi functions per switch per source. On the cheaper one , you choose 1 function per switch and when you change source, the switch may work or may not work for an other function ,depending on what is chosen.
Yeah keep us posted. I only want basic volume up/down, channel up/down and for when I'm streaming from my phone, next track or last track. Nothing fancy.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info bud. Do you have a link to your thread I couldn't find it and Rob was talking highly of it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
if you do the scosche wiring kit for the pac adapter, it's plug n play. if you don't then you wind up having to solder resistors in place. That's a pain in the arse IMO.

AXXESS makes great handlebar control/steering wheel modules as well.

The only handlebar control module on the market for these bikes that retains AVC is the Biketronics module. Some like AVC, some don't, so whether you want it or not is a $150 question.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if you do the scosche wiring kit for the pac adapter, it's plug n play. if you don't then you wind up having to solder resistors in place. That's a pain in the arse IMO.

AXXESS makes great handlebar control/steering wheel modules as well.

The only handlebar control module on the market for these bikes that retains AVC is the Biketronics module. Some like AVC, some don't, so whether you want it or not is a $150 question.
Good info. For about 100 bucks savings I'll turn the volume up manually . :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts