Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a really stupid question but here goes. Im just getting ready to install a set of new bars and i cant get my ignition switch knob off. Ive followed the instruction in the manual but cant seem to get it to release, is there a trick to this or am i just missing something?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,899 Posts
on either side of the speedo and tach are two screws , remove those , pop the cover off and you're looking at the bolts that hold the handlebars , no need to remove the ignition ..
at least on the roadie thats the way they are ..

09 or 10 mebbe different

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the link unclebuz, that cleared it up for me. Now its time to rip it apart :)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey just wondering if there is a way to not run the wires internally. Reason is im going to be upgrading my stereo soon so im thinking of putting the bars on and leaving all cables as is. Problem is i have the 12 inch monkey bars that are set up to be internally wired. Anybody use these and not run the wires internally?

Thanks for all the help so far:)

·
Super Moderator
9,899 Posts
somebody here posted not too long ago about leaving the wires out and wrapping them with the leather wraps that are made for the handgrips or levers ..

chain mebbe , dont recall right off ...

·
Registered
48 Posts
The wires can be left outside the bar if the bar has dimples. The bars above have dimples so the wires don't get pinched between the bars and the controls. The lower bars are meant for internal wiring.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the good replies. My bars are made for internal wiring and dont have the dimples so i guess im gonna have to just rip the fairing apart twice. Oh well at least the second time i will be good at it:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Upgrading to 14"

Here's another wiring question... I'm going from stock to 14" apes. I know I need to replace the clutch and upper brake lines, but do I have to replace the lower brake lines also (ABS brakes)? I wouldn't think so, but someone is giving me the impression that I'm supposed to.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Here's another wiring question... I'm going from stock to 14" apes. I know I need to replace the clutch and upper brake lines, but do I have to replace the lower brake lines also (ABS brakes)? I wouldn't think so, but someone is giving me the impression that I'm supposed to.
If you have the standard vinyl lines, the explanation given to me is that the aftermarket lines hold more volume and will cause the skinnier stock lower lines to expand...........

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you have the standard vinyl lines, the explanation given to me is that the aftermarket lines hold more volume and will cause the skinnier stock lower lines to expand...........
The diameter of the lines won't increase the pressure, a larger diameter will only increase the flow rate

1 - 14 of 14 Posts