Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time ever doing anything like this. I just hope I didn't mess anything up.

In the process of changing out my bars. I ran both sides of wires through the bars and hooked everything back up (took my time and was very careful).

Did the first start up; "run" switch works, "start" switch works - bike starts up with no problem.

Problems:
-throttle does not work
-cruise control light stays on and flashes
-ABS light is on
-engine light is on

All seems to be issues related to the right side of the bars. left side controls work fine.

Am I screwed? Anyone have any ideas what can be wrong? Please advise.

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sometimes in the line they break it and put a soildered joint into it. I saw this on mine when I just did them. There is a possibility that you broke that connection, or you frayed a wire. Unfortunatley there is only one way to check it, take them back out and visually inspect them and if you can, get a ohm meter. Run it from one end to the other to check to see if there is a break.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Your engine light is on so that means the bike has DTC codes stored in the computer . You will have to clear the codes and then see if you have DTC codes show up again . Doing the wires you had to disconnect the TBW harness and your bike may have seen this as a TBW malfunction and the computer put the bike into limp home mode by disabling the throttle .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you cut and splice the throttle by wire control or force all the wires in the handle bars without eliminating the green plug. if you squeezed them all in with the plug they probably came un plugged. (ask me how i know) lol. also check the plugs at the end and make sure the colors match up. it is possible you could have a few swapped . if thats the case it is an easy fix. just swap the wires and you should be back in business. fyi harley makes a tbw that has additional inches on it that has no plug in the center. I believe the part number is 32310-08. that way you arent second guessing your splice. last piece of advise pull off the factory black sleve and put a piece of heat shrink in its place and shrink it down. makes fishing the wires a little easier. also make sure there is enough coverage so they dont chafe from vibration where they enter and exit the bars.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks gents. appreciate the advise.
after looking back through everything, i think i pulled a little too hard and disconnected the green plug. i went ahead and picked up another one from HD.

how do i get rid of the engine light though??

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
YOU need too clear .the code on our bike . I posted the info you need under the troubleshooting section

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ironmike,
thanks.
just finished the install and everything works. soon as i put everything back together, I'll post some pics.

one thing though - my ABS light keeps blinking; is there any fix for this??

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
It will always blink until your moving at least 5-7 mph. If it continues to blink once your riding down the street at normal speeds, then you have a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts