Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a number of the threads I have seen that RG owners have put on taller bars using the stock cables. If I remember correctly up to 10" to 12". I have checked my local dealers and found that they advise that the stock cables wont go that high. They estimate 1" to 2" from stock. Are they full of it? I just got an 11 RG and am interested in going higher (I am 6-4). Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Totally full of it,. Im running 15" apes with stock cables, just rerouted them. Your dealer is trying to squeeze you for all he can.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Martin, stock wires will make it but brake and clutch will not over 12". I have 12" wild1's and am maxed on B&C cable. Plenty of wire left over though. Maybe Chainsaw can confirm this.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Martin, stock wires will make it but brake and clutch will not over 12". I have 12" wild1's and am maxed on B&C cable. Plenty of wire left over though. Maybe Chainsaw can confirm this.
Brake and clutch good for 15" apes on a 2010 ABS FLTRX. Its maxed out, but 15" is doable. I didn't change a thing except cut zipties on the brake line, and reroute the clutch cable behind the frame and behind the triple tree.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Chainsaw is right

I just did my 12" monkey bars, I cut the zip tie and took the clutch cable from between the forks to the outside. Yes it flops on the nuts, but (well I won't go there) there is plenty room. Check out my picks I posted earlier, as for the brake line it is better where it is than where it was prior. I even put a slight twist so it runs closer to the bars, and stays with no ties.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
+1, I just did 12" bars on mine without any cable change or wire extensions. Just a re-route. Pics of the bars on are in this section thread title is: "my new bars" I was a doubting thomas at first, but I can say that I was wrong. 12"s are no problem

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Thanks for confirming my same exact inquiry! You guys Rock the RG Knowledge!!
Keep in mind everyone who commented did it to 2010 and 2011 bikes. I did a 2007 with 14" chubby wild ones, and they needed clutch, brake, and throttle cables. Im pretty sure almost every year Road Glide has plenty o' wire up under the fairing though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the bars and done the install; as you said...all is good. Nothing of note, smooth process, and the bars fit without any modifications. By the way...they are great for positioning the hands. The angle of the bars take some getting used to but they are relatively unique.

Thanks everyone for your comments and help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts