Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, currently my wife is riding my old 2010 Heritage since I've upgraded to to a 2011 Road Glide Classic. Today we went out riding to visit a friend (my wife hasn't been on the Heritage due to cold weather) and she says the handlebars are a bit too much of a reach for her, that she'd like the handlebars to be pulled back a bit and a little lower.

So, two questions:
1) Can I use her Heritage bars on my FLTRX?
2) What kind of bars would give less height and be closer to the rider (more pull back) for the Heritage?

Thanks!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Have her sit on a fat boy lo and check out those bars. They are lower and more narrow. Not sure about the pull back. I think there is a differance between the bars on the Heritage and the Heritage style bars in the parts book but I don't know what it is.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have her sit on a fat boy lo and check out those bars. They are lower and more narrow. Not sure about the pull back. I think there is a differance between the bars on the Heritage and the Heritage style bars in the parts book but I don't know what it is.
Thanks. I'll have her chech it out the next time we're at the dealers.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
If the heritage has TBW you may be able to use them if not you would have to get a set of heritage style bars for the RG .

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You'll have to have the Heritage bars notched for the TBW to be able to use them on your bike.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
You'll have to have the Heritage bars notched for the TBW to be able to use them on your bike.
I don't look at the new bikes to much at the dealer and if I do I only look at baggers . So they still only have the TBW in the touring bikes I take it . It may be easier to just buy the heritage style handle bars for $75 then to notch them IMO , that way you know that the notches are right . You can always sell the bars you took off the heritage to off set some of the cost .

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Ironmark & tmd. I hadn't even considered throttle-by-wire. Crap. Oh, well. I wanted flat black handlebars on the FLTRX anyway.
The bars my wife is looking at are the buckhorns, springer bars or the Fat Boy Lo bars.
Guess I'll have to put both sets of original bars up on eBay.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the bars on the Heritage for her? You can loosen them and roll them toward the seat. After the adjustment the grips would be lower and closer to her.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you tried adjusting the bars on the Heritage for her? You can loosen them and roll them toward the seat. After the adjustment the grips would be lower and closer to her.
Thanks, FXD-Tim. I would try it, but I'm afraid that the heritage bars are just too tall for her, and the angle of the grips aren't right, either. I think at this point I'm going to have to put a set of buckhorn-type handlebars on it for her. On the upside, I'm looking forward to putting a set of black heritage bars on my RGC.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Notching the heritage bars would be simple, just
put them in the same place as your notches on the 11

JMO I would pull back the Heritage bars for her first
before spending any trial and test money. See if
lowering them toward her helps any, if so then you know
you'll need shorter with more pull back.

And if she likes them when moved back, well
you save $100...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Notching the heritage bars would be simple, just
put them in the same place as your notches on the 11

JMO I would pull back the Heritage bars for her first
before spending any trial and test money. See if
lowering them toward her helps any, if so then you know
you'll need shorter with more pull back.

And if she likes them when moved back, well
you save $100...
thanks, I'll try that. I think the Heritage bars are just WAY too high for her liking, and she doesn't like the angle of the grips, either. But it would be worth a try first.

·
Registered
659 Posts
It will at least let you get the
idea of where she wants her hands
so when you go to buy bars
you will have a better idea of
what to get..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went by the dealer's with my wife yesterday . . . put her on a fatboy lo so she could check out those handlebars - the reach was a bit too far. In the process, we talked to the sales manager and he talked with my wife and I about leaning the existing heritage bars back toward her. To my suprise, she likes the idea, and the sales manager said they would take care of everything, including leaning the bars and adjusting the controls, grips, etc. without charge. Pretty cool!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts