Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
my hands are going numb much faster with the bars i just installed than before with the stockers. WTF?

Are your arms raised over your heart?
Do you feel yourself leaning forward?
How are you have Holding the grips?
Try gripping the controls at an angle similar to a doorknob. Unfamiliarity with new controls may cause you to grip harder. In fact gripping is not necessary at all light pressure is needed to maintain positioning of hands, wrists should always remain flat; never bent. Pushing input should be done with your palms, elbows slightly bent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
my hands are going numb much faster with the bars i just installed than before with the stockers. WTF?
Maybe try adjusting bars back so your wrists aren't putting so much pressure on the carpal tunnel part of your wrist.
A little bend in the elbow may provide some relief, you might be compressing a nerve somewhere

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are your arms raised over your heart?
Do you feel yourself leaning forward?
How are you have Holding the grips?
Try gripping the controls at an angle similar to a doorknob. Unfamiliarity with new controls may cause you to grip harder. In fact gripping is not necessary at all light pressure is needed to maintain positioning of hands, wrists should always remain flat; never bent. Pushing input should be done with your palms, elbows slightly bent.

Maybe try adjusting bars back so your wrists aren't putting so much pressure on the carpal tunnel part of your wrist.
A little bend in the elbow may provide some relief, you might be compressing a nerve somewhere

i do find myself leaning forward a touch.i can throw the stock seat on it tomorrow for testing to see if being closer solves the issue.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Obviously the new angle isn't good for you. Look for a way to change the geometry, rotating the bars forward or back? Unless you got Kliphangers or the Ness adjustable bars not much other choice.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Grips helped me in the past. Get-a-grip HD grips solved that for me on my last bike.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The stock bars did that to me. Had to change the wrist angle and add foam grips to make them larger.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i already have the get a grip. so with the stock seat on today my hands did much better but my ass was hurting with the shitty stock seat and i had no leg room on the bike. so i might roll the bars back a bit.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
i already have the get a grip. so with the stock seat on today my hands did much better but my ass was hurting with the shitty stock seat and i had no leg room on the bike. so i might roll the bars back a bit.
Looks like a new seat is on the horizon? I bought an HD solo saddle, it was comfy and looked good. I loved that seat, but my back did not. I put my old corbin close back on and all is good in my world. It pushed me forward just enough to take all the pressure off my tailbone.

Took me a while to dial in my bars, the angle and seat position. Keep playing with it, and definetly relax the grip. Once I got it nailed, I have never touched it again.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
359 Posts
What difference does this make? Your head is above your heart, for most people anyway, blood still gets there.

Putting your arms in an extended position above your heart decreases perfusion to your extremities and Also certain positions can put pressure on nerves in the arm, hands, and shoulder, which can cause numbness

Raise your hand, it gets tired after awhile, lower your hand blood flow returns.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Putting your arms in an extended position above your heart decreases perfusion to your extremities and Also certain positions can put pressure on nerves in the arm, hands, and shoulder, which can cause numbness

Raise your hand, it gets tired after awhile, lower your hand blood flow returns.
I suspect this has more to do with muscle fatigue than blood flow. With apes, you're holding on to the bars, your muscles arent doing much work.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a set of foam covers over my grips which may make a difference. I have them mainly due to my large hands. I have not had a problem with hand numbness on the Harley. I did have issues with other bikes, like the Kawasaki Concours and even the BMW GT 1200- both are in-line fours which tend to be buzzy. You may could weight the bars ( Barsnake) and change the frequency of the vibration, alleviating some of the problem.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
What difference does this make? Your head is above your heart, for most people anyway, blood still gets there.
Eh, HellInABucket; I think texasnurse is a, well, a nurse. I wouldn't argue with a nurse, only doctors do that from time to time. :)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Eh, HellInABucket; I think texasnurse is a, well, a nurse. I wouldn't argue with a nurse, only doctors do that from time to time. :)
All good. Just trying to provoke some thinking. I personally have had bars where my hands are above my heart, never had any numbness as a result, and many people I've known have had same, no issues with numbness, so I just suspect something else is going on when this is happening.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts