Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
Thanks for posting. I Just went out and looked at mine. 6 ton model # P 38847. I think they are older then the recall ones and definitely don't say Pittsburgh on them. I always lay the wheel under the vehicle too just in case.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Good thing I just got some from Farm & Fleet. Though I did look to see prices at harbour freight.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Just looked at mine. I have 4 6-ton model #62393. Hafta do a lil more research

Thanks!

Sent from the Rockies of Colorado

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I know some guys like HF, but after a drill lasted 5 holes I was done with them, 5yrs ago. This makes me realize I made the right decision.
You guys be carful!

Reactions: RFG7680

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
My 6 tons look identical to the recalled ones but have a different part number.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I can't say for certain, but the part numbers may not mean anything in this case. I'm going to make a guess that these are made overseas (like a lot of stuff) and come here wearing a lot of different brand names and part numbers. The article says the cause is worn out tooling. Can one company (Harbor Freight) sell so many that they cause the factory to wear out? I doubt it. I'd be suspicious of any jack stand that looks like and functions like these do.

·
Registered
2020 RGS, FLTRXS that runs great out the gate.
1,872 Posts
I can't say for certain, but the part numbers may not mean anything in this case. I'm going to make a guess that these are made overseas (like a lot of stuff) and come here wearing a lot of different brand names and part numbers. The article says the cause is worn out tooling. Can one company (Harbor Freight) sell so many that they cause the factory to wear out? I doubt it. I'd be suspicious of any jack stand that looks like and functions like these do.
when the tooling starts off as crap, you get crap, aka chinese manufacturing. not a new revelation, and i just dont see a change. the majority are cheap. i used to be but now i make an effort to buy good products made here or at least not there. its tough and truth be told, if its a one off job, not necessarilly for my bike, but other things, i will buy the junk piece if only to know its laying around for a while to never be used. i had a bunch of nice expensive tools, then i realized how much beer was lost sitting there...but sometimes its just faster to grab their crap tools and turn a few dollars...or case of beer...

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
330 Posts
Harbor Freight has gotten better over the last few years, with anything else it's buyer beware!!! but if you do your homework read reviews, there are many things from Harbor Freight that are a good value.
In my humble opinion here are a few things that are a good value from Harbor Freight,

motorcycle lift, 4 foot LED lights,
Impact sockets, torque wrenches, micrometer, orbital sander, brake bleeding tool, 23lb hammer drill, Plastic Amo box, 46" tool box, welding helmet, 5000 lbd winch, 3 ton Jack, 50' 3/8s industrial air hose, battery powered jump box, 20 ton stand up press, 32" LED light bar,
These are all things that I have given five stars, and would highly recommend.......to any one of my friends
And I was lucky on the jack stands, mine didn't have that number for the recall,
If I were to buy all of the things that were mentioned, American made, I would be one broke dick motherfucker!!!!
Even my brand new Harley back in 2010 from the factory, had Chinese Parts on it, but it is American made and American built. ha!!!!

Ok Ok I am done, I am headed to the corner, gonna face the wall, and hang my head in shame......
Bad TexasSmoker.....Bad TexasSmoker..🙄🙄🙄

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Screw that place and everything they sell. They have nothing I want, even for free.

But if you like there stuff have at it

·
Registered
2021 FLTRXSE
22 Posts
Im always nervous when my ass is under jack stands. My stands are not part of the recall but still.
I modified both my 3 and 12 ton stands with a positive lock so there is no way they can fail.
I drilled and welded a nut then installed the locking bolt. I feel secure with this set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
You could weld that cheap crap solid Im still not trusting them with my life. Im worth more then the $20 jack stands. If I cant buy a decent set then I probably dont need to be under them. We arent talking about a wrench. That chinese junk could kill you

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
330 Posts
Philly
Brother you must have Deep Pockets, most all of the jack stands I have looked at have been made in China, an the ones made in America are over a hundred bucks plus, it's really up to the individual, to make sure his equipment is working properly, before he starts the project,
I do get your point of view, as I tell my son all the time would it hurt you to buy American??? But there are certain things I will not pay double or quadruple for just to buy American, that's crazy!!!!
But if I had deep pockets, everything I owned would be American, but I don't, so I pick and choose the best I know how....
Come on down and visit, we'll throw all that China shit out my garage and you can replace it with all American!!!
Works for me how bout you????
Till then that China shit has to work for me......no choice....

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
We are talking about a tool to hold a vehicle up safely while you are under it. The $80 is worth it to me every time all the time to me. Imagine the aftermath when a car falls on somebody? Party is over
My stands are from the the late '80s, craftsman. Weigh about 35lbs a piece. I cant remember what I paid for them back then but it wasn't much. They probably aren't American made anymore but Im sure there are some out there for a decent price
When you buy HF stuff you just "Hope" you get a good one. Hoping I bought a good ratchet is different then hoping I bought good jack stands. Not telling you what to buy, just commenting on the "Gamble" when dealing with cheap jack stands.

Brother Im a teacher so no deep pockets here. I detail cars as a side gig also. All of my tool truck tools were bought new with a discount or used in great condition. It took years to fill my box with Snap On, Mac and Matco stuff. Garage Journal is a great website to find tool truck stuff that people want to sell. Im not a mechanic but I have what I need. When Im done Ill give them to my son and he will have some nice stuff.

Reactions: MORider

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I've been using the harbor freight lift table for my RG for about 8 years now without any problems. I use their 3 ton floor jack for the truck and the HF air compressor in the garage. I've had zero issues with any of it. I have a few other insignificant items like flashlights and some hand tools I needed in emergency situations and again no issues. There are certain things you can get from them that are decent and it does look like they've improved some of their products over the years. They arent for everyone so buy what you feel comfortable buying

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
My stands are from the the late '80s, craftsman. Weigh about 35lbs a piece. I cant remember what I paid for them back then but it wasn't much. They probably aren't American made anymore but Im sure there are some out there for a decent price
In fairness, they probably weren't made in America back then either. I've got a ton of Craftsman tools purchased as far back as the early 70's ... And most of them are stamped 'Made in Japan'.

I try not to think about it though - I bought them at Sears & Roebuck damnit...

• Haha
Reactions: Oclaf and Big_gary

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
In fairness, they probably weren't made in America back then either. I've got a ton of Craftsman tools purchased as far back as the early 70's ... And most of them are stamped 'Made in Japan'.

I try not to think about it though - I bought them at Sears & Roebuck damnit...
Read the Tag . Unless it's from the 70s or earlier it probably sailed across a pond.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I will look when I get out to the shed. Japan is better the china for sure. Either way I trust them, no way I trust a stand, or anything that my life depends on, from HF

1 - 20 of 21 Posts