Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I've written in a couple of times about my troubles trying to install lowers on my 1998 RG. I bought a set from a aftermarket company and received them the other day. All I was supposed to have to do was shorten the piece that rests on the top of the top crash guard and they were supposed to fit. Well they don't the fairing is still to low and the signal lights to far apart on the crash guard. I don't want to raise the fairing or move the signal light brackets. (the bike is totally original) So I guess my question is, up to what year did the older RG's have lowers available. In other words what year do I need to get a set for. As far as i can find out the 1998's didn't have them as an option from the factory.

I've just about beat this thing to death and bought a set of snap on leather chaps which basically solved my wind problem but I would still like a set of hard ones. Any help would be appreciated. Rellick

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
until 2010 when they raised the fairing up an inch, you had to use the roadglide specific lowers, for just the reasons you said. the batwing fairings have the adjustable vent, while the roadglide specific do not. a lot of folks have added their own vent in the lower. while not adjustable, it does allow for some airflow.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Rellick,

Do they have to be HD lowers. Have you tried a set of Hogg Chopps? I have a spare set with hardware that I would loan you to test fit to see if they would work for you.

Where are you located in Alberta?

Calgaryglide.

·
Registered
483 Posts
do not try the hogg chopps as mentioned in the post above, I have an 01 and it has the same signals as your 98 , I tried the hogg Chopps and they will not work with the signals mounted on the fairing supports, the only lowers I found that work are the Harley specific lowers made to fit 98-03 Road Glides should be part #58841-98 the part number changes with the paint color also be aware if you find a set make sure they come with mounting hardware as the hardware kit is an obsolete part , it was harder for me to find than lowers .

·
Registered
137 Posts
until 2010 when they raised the fairing up an inch, you had to use the roadglide specific lowers, for just the reasons you said. the batwing fairings have the adjustable vent, while the roadglide specific do not. a lot of folks have added their own vent in the lower. while not adjustable, it does allow for some airflow.
The Classic Motorcycle Vents are adjustable for airflow. With them fully open you do get a lot of airflow. They have tabs in them to keep the doors in the position you set them. With the glove boxes installed, you can't get to the doors while riding. That is the only downside. They fit both the older EG style non-vented lowers and RG style non-vented lowers. I'm not the only one with them. In fact, I found out about them on here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts