Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Road Glide 96CI, with 22k miles that I purchased used with 15k miles 20 months ago. It had Woods TW-222 cams and a Thunderheader pipe installed at 10k miles. Since I have owned it I occasionally get a very rough idle at start up coupled with a very strong gas smell. It was suggested that I may have a fuel injector sticking open. This symptom seems to be happening more often recently compared to when I originally experienced it. The only codes are P0134, PO154, P0031 (no cats), and PO118 ECT sensor. Is it likely I have a bad injector or can this be related to the plug/pin issue at the throttle body I have read about?

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Crank it up, take a can of carburetor cleaner and spray it around the intake and the head on each head. If it immediately idles up smooth, you've found the culprit, the gaskets need changing. Also check your plugs for color. That should tell you about it running rich also. On cold start the ecm is set to idle rich so you also could be looking at one of the sensors not sending out the right signals after warm up. Let us know what you find.

Edit: After re-reading your post, I would pull the plugs and check them first due to you saying the hard starting part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Smarty, I did change the spark plugs about 1500 miles ago. I will try the carb cleaner/intake gasket leak test the next time it does it. If that doesn't smooth it out, do you rule out an injector being stuck open?

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I would think the injectors are not the problem and none of the DTC's indicate a injector issue.
A vacuum issue would cause high erratic idle so I wouldn't think that vacuum is the problem but check it anyways also check the vacuum stem and make sure the rubber plug is on and in good shape.
I would suggest replacing the Engine Temp Sensor which is DTC P0118 and inspecting the wiring, the ET sensor is located in the left rear of the front cylinder head just behind the horn.
The engine temp sensor affects idle and AFR and it will cause all sorts of running issues, and it is a easy fix.
After you replace the ET sensor make sure to clear all the DTC's before starting the bike.
This isn't a TCA issue but it doesn't hurt to put some dielectric grease on the TCA plug located at the rear of the throttle body.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts