Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 rg with 95" kit ,gear driven cams, thunderheader and s.e. race tuner
Recently became very hard to start , turning over good , batt. Good . It just keeps chugging and backfiring through breather and pipe , acts like not enough spark, can smell fuel when backfiring so it seems to be getting plenty of that. Did basic test of coil came out good , does this hot or cold starting . ECM? , any feedback appreciated. Good starter ,batt. And reg. stator checks out good. Thnx all

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I'm not familiar with the SE race tuner, but is it possible to reset it? I have a Thundermax and any disruption to the electrical system requires me to initialize the map again to the bike.

I would also check for a blown fuse, and also disconnect the ECM and put dielectric grease on the connection. Could just be moisture from sitting.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Of course you have pulled the plugs? make sure the ceramic isn't cracked and gaped correctly, ohm the wires too

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes new plugs and wires ohmed out good, unplugged ECM, dis conned batt. I'm out of ideas, sometimes it fires right up , then next time it almost kills batt. I guess I'm gonna have to put in for diags., I also checked for codes on the speedo self diag. Check , all we're clear , frustrating I hate puttin in the shop, thanks for all the ideas!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had the exact same issue and got many of the same replies. At the end of the day it turned out to be my compensator even though it wasn't typical symptoms. Issue completely gone now

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
First, pull the ECM fuse for 30 minutes or so to reset things, helps a surprising number of issues.

Head temp sensor is worth adding to the list of things to check, especially since it's a cold start issue.
The other one is the crank sensor, they've been known to get flaky and signal sometimes and not others, being an '02 makes it even more likely.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I had the exact same issue and got many of the same replies. At the end of the day it turned out to be my compensator even though it wasn't typical symptoms. Issue completely gone now
First thing I though of when said backfiring through AC.. or possible Crank position sensor..

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Mine does the kickback, spit out the AC all the time when starting. Sometimes when engime is cold, a lot when the engine is warm.
Some say its my cams and a high tq starter will fix it.
Some say i need a new compensator.
Some say i need comp releases.
Some say to retard the timing at start up.
Some say to not wait for the light to go out and start it right away.
Some say to cycle the FI twice.
Some say its my Power Commander going bad.
Some say its my battery.

Its confusing to me to say the least, and unfortunately, whatever i do, will be on my dime, as my warranty has long ran out.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Lot of good information in the boards.

From what I've read your bike uses a Delphi fuel injection? I definetly trust what others are saying about the compensator. The Delphi needs to build pressure to work properly, I wonder if your gas cap is no longer venting properly? I am no means a mechanic or have had this problem, just chucking out a low cost fix if it is.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
It's not the compensator. Older compensator is not a piece of shit like the '07 up.

Did you change something recently?

Backfiring during cranking, or when you let off the starter switch?

Sounds like plenty of fuel if you can smell it, but lack of spark could be battery that is failing and dropping voltage enough while cranking causing ignition issues. Put a meter on the battery and try to start it, what voltage does it show while cranking?

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Have you looked at the ignition coil ?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I had this problem and was issue with air input. Got re tuned and all good. I had changed the filter from a heavy breather. Also, if air filter dirty can lead to start problems and spark plug issues. Just another thought from left field.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thnx for all replies , all good , I did just about all recommendations , new hvy. Dty. Starter, batt. Whole nine yards, finally took it to local hd guru. And he saw and heard firsthand , said a timing, cps issue . Wanted it dynoed again anyway, will let u know what he comes up with, thnx again for all the ideas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to let all know my problem was fuel press, the line in the tank were it rises up from the petcock is about 2 " to long from factory and over time it will rub a small hole in it laying up against the tank, had 30# of fuel press when u need 60, thnx for all the replies, hope this will help some others out!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts