Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 roadglide it has a 96". All i have done since i owned it (engine wise) is pull the baffles out if the slip on rinharts. Anyway about every 10 starts I get a hard start. It turns over and is then followed by a grind. It's almost like the motor is at the perfect compression. It will eventually start. I also put in a new batt this spring.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I have an 09 roadglide it has a 96". All i have done since i owned it (engine wise) is pull the baffles out if the slip on rinharts. Anyway about every 10 starts I get a hard start. It turns over and is then followed by a grind. It's almost like the motor is at the perfect compression. It will eventually start. I also put in a new batt this spring.
My 2010 did it and just recently my 2012 started doing it. Both times the problem was solved with a new compensator. Could be another cause but I believe a bad comp is the most common.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
Replace the compensator. You may need to rebuild the starter as well but your compensator is the major culprit. I had the exact same thing happen. Ever since the MoCo started putting the 96 in they've had nothing but problems with compensators. Some of the 103's have this problem too. I believe HD superceded the part numbers for the comps about 4 or 5 times since the 96"ers. As far as what to replace it with? Well that's a question for the ages. So far no one has been able to come up with a bullet proof design.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Besides the ovious (compensator) , make sure your battery is strong and a good set of spark plugs will kick the engine over easier.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
+1 on the compensator. There is a real good chance that the starter is just fine so don't R&R that. Replace the compensator first then see how the starter acts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ok...compensator it is. Help me out here, should i go back to hd and get one? Does anyone make a better aftermarket version? How had is it to change? Do i need any special tools? Also i have the extended warranty is it coverd under that?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I experienced the start problem on my 2007 Road Glide. I had Manual Compression Releases put in and it totally solved the problem. Anytime I start the engine I first push the MCR's and it just starts. I have 71,000 with the OEM compensator and have no hard start problems. It's quite inexpensive to install the MCR valves and takes only a short time.

BART

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
yes,yes,not hard,not really,yes

But, was told if it's not or if they can't see a way to claim (!), you pay for the lookie's

Haven't heard good or bad on HD near you

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Yes the compensator is covered under the Harley Extended warranty.

·
Registered
290 Posts
i replaced my comp this summer as well,the ramps looked like they were beaten with a ball peen hammer,pitted rough and fkn ugly,also did the trans bearings and shift forks,metal being used is crap!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
ok...compensator it is. Help me out here, should i go back to hd and get one? Does anyone make a better aftermarket version? How had is it to change? Do i need any special tools? Also i have the extended warranty is it coverd under that?
Mine was covered under ESP..but have them upgrade it to the SE comp..and pay the small difference if they require it...

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Mine was covered under ESP..but have them upgrade it to the SE comp..and pay the small difference if they require it...
My dealer said that the newest comp is the only one they will replace it with anymore so I didn't have to pay an upcharge and they didn't even charge me my deductible on my ESP. I even had the SE version from 2012. Don't know if all dealers are doing doing that or not but maybe HD is phasing out the older versions and just going with the latest version in hopes of having less issues in the future.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My dealer said that the newest comp is the only one they will replace it with anymore so I didn't have to pay an upcharge and they didn't even charge me my deductible on my ESP. I even had the SE version from 2012. Don't know if all dealers are doing doing that or not but maybe HD is phasing out the older versions and just going with the latest version in hopes of having less issues in the future.

Same here. Dealer replaced my comp with the SE Comp, no up charge, also replaced the starter. All under warranty. But then again, that was Horny Toad. Always a standup dealer!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts