Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to find tires that fit a 19" front and 18" rear.the ones on them are 130/60/19 and 180/55/18.I can find a front but the rear is only at dealer.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have the same problem doctor Mike. I have those same AGITATOR wheels and i am forced to buy the Harley Dunlops from the dealer. I think Metzler might have some our size for the front and rear as well as Avon.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
The best option is the Pirelli Night Dragon. A good riding buddy got about 12k out of the set of night dragons on his CVO shark. They handle far better than stock and last about the same. Check tire pressure religiously and your mileage should be decent. That being said my buddy always rides solo and is very laid back non aggressive rider.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Be aware of tire loads if going after market for the agitator wheels specially the rear tire. Our bike are heavy plus passenger and gear, I know HD tire prices sucks but on 19/18 choices are limited.

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
Motorcycle superstore has 4 different options I believe. Cheapest being a Bridgestone g850 for $139 with free shipping.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...70&divisiongroup=3&division=31&department=401

Chaparral Motorsports also seems to have a few options.
Be aware of tire loads if going after market for the agitator wheels specially the rear tire. Our bike are heavy plus passenger and gear, I know HD tire prices sucks but on 19/18 choices are limited.
of the four choices that motorcycle superstore had, none of them had the same load rating that the stock dunlop has. the closest was the shinko, with a load rating of 79 (compared to hd 80) which equates to 963lbs vs 990 lbs. the other 3 were either 75 or less, which is a good 150lbs less than the hd stock.

30 lbs i might settle for, but not 150lbs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
broke down and called jon.he hooked me up on the rear,going with American elite for front.

·
Registered
483 Posts
What kind of mileage did you get out of your original set? I have about 12K on mine now and they still look really good. I have no idea what to expect or when to swap out the back one, since it will likely need changed before the front.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The stock tires I got 24000 on both,changed because of trip but the back was bad.the agitators I got used ,dont know what they had.I put 12000 on them,front was good and back is ne e ding replaced,smoth down the center.

·
Registered
2012 FLTRXSE
332 Posts
I have the same rims and the Harley Dunlops, got 20,000 out of the rear and the front is still good. I found by running the rear at the max pressure 42lbs, the tire didn't cup as I have had with prior set at the recommended 40lbs

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
I have the same rims and the Harley Dunlops, got 20,000 out of the rear and the front is still good. I found by running the rear at the max pressure 42lbs, the tire didn't cup as I have had with prior set at the recommended 40lbs
might have to look into this. my rear tire is cupped now with 14,000 miles on it, but i have plenty of tread left. makes it just a little bit squirrely on the highway when you're doing 75mph or better going into a curve.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The American Elite 180/55-18 may be available at the end of this year or early 2016. I've been seriously thinking about the Avon Cobras, but they are rated for 827lbs and so are the Night Dragons. I'm happy with the performance of the 407 but they do seem to have a harsh ride. I just bought this bike in November so I can't say how the mileage will be. I had Avon Venoms in the past and loved everything about them. Do you think the light load rating would make a drastic difference in the life of the tire? I ride solo 99% of the time.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The American Elite 180/55-18 may be available at the end of this year or early 2016. I've been seriously thinking about the Avon Cobras, but they are rated for 827lbs and so are the Night Dragons. I'm happy with the performance of the 407 but they do seem to have a harsh ride. I just bought this bike in November so I can't say how the mileage will be. I had Avon Venoms in the past and loved everything about them. Do you think the light load rating would make a drastic difference in the life of the tire? I ride solo 99% of the time.
What makes you say this about the availability of the American Elite? I'm hoping it's true.

As many on this thread have found, I'm in the same boat. Went out today to a few local small shops and for our bikes it's the stock Dunlops, period. Michelin Commander II can be found for the rear but not the front. Dunlop American Elite can be found for the front but not the rear.

So I'm going to go with another stock Dunlop on the back for now and when I need it I'll try the American Elite on the front. Sucks.

I got over 14k on my rear right now and will have 15k by the time I get it changed but it's completely bald in the middle. I'm shocked at the people claiming 20k. You must be seeing cords sticking out!

·
Registered
2012 FLTRXSE
332 Posts
What makes you say this about the availability of the American Elite? I'm hoping it's true

I got over 14k on my rear right now and will have 15k by the time I get it changed but it's completely bald in the middle. I'm shocked at the people claiming 20k. You must be seeing cords sticking out!
I emailed Dunlop about the American Elite in the 180/55-18 and they replied that size should be available late 2015 early 2016.

As far as 20k miles wear on rear tire, I put mine on at 44k miles on the bike before I went to Sturgis last year, changed it before I went this year at 65k miles, wish I had the tire still I'd take pics for ya, no cords showing and in fact it was just down to the bottom of the wear bars

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
when I bought a used set of agitators, it came with a 200/50-18 on it. looked badass. definitely not recommended by Dunlop. I didn't have any problems, but when I bought my cvo, I put those agitators on the wife's bike. I then had the stock 180/55-18 put on it. it's one thing for me to take chances, but i'm not taking any with the wife.......

just an update for the rest of the thread. just put a set of American elites on my bike. bought from j&p, for $300, got a $40 rebate from Dunlop. even with paying $80 for my local indy to r&r the tires (I took him the wheels), i'm still way ahead of the dealer (even with their $1.00 tire install special). so far, I like the tires, but really I've only done a 20 mile test ride.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.