Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put this new oil pan on their Glide? I went and looked at a the Indian dealership and their bikes come with 5.5 quart pan.

I live in FL and it is hot. I know greater oil capacity would help.

Thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Has anyone put this new oil pan on their Glide? I went and looked at a the Indian dealership and their bikes come with 5.5 quart pan.

I live in FL and it is hot. I know greater oil capacity would help.

Thoughts? Thanks
the oil temp is still going to reach the same temp. it's just going to take longer to get there.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
I spend enough money on oil ($40+) when doing engine oil changes (not counting the primary and trans) I sure don't need to buy another 2 qts of oil for each oil change.
As mentioned the oil will still get just as hot running the bigger oil pan so there is no real advantage.
You would be better off investing in a better oil cooler instead.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the oil temp is still going to reach the same temp. it's just going to take longer to get there.
Not true at all. Bigger pan and more oil means the oil stays in the pan longer before being circulated back through the motor. This adds net cooling capacity to the system and will result in a a 15-20 degree drop in max steady state oil temps. It is a dry sump system, so it is more like an oil tank versus a pan, and it is exposed to the slipstream under the bike as well.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Not true at all. Bigger pan and more oil means the oil stays in the pan longer before being circulated back through the motor. This adds net cooling capacity to the system and will result in a a 15-20 degree drop in max steady state oil temps. It is a dry sump system, so it is more like an oil tank versus a pan, and it is exposed to the slipstream under the bike as well.
sounds good in theory, but there have been enough published unbiased test results that show the reality is a different animal.

if you want to spend the money on it, go for it. it's your ride and i'll not begrudge you one dime. me, i'll spend my money on something else, thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts