Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEVER AGAIN! That's what I keep telling my self. Never again will I take my bike to the dealer to fix a problem. This time, they tore my wires out of the heated Hammock seat taking it off the bike and then had the audacity to tuck the wires back under the seat pan and zip tie it to the pan! SO, does anyone know where I can download a wiring diagram for the internal wiring for the Harley Hammock seat PN 52000004A? I have all of the connectors but ned to know where the red and black wires og in the connector

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
NEVER AGAIN! That's what I keep telling my self. Never again will I take my bike to the dealer to fix a problem. This time, they tore my wires out of the heated Hammock seat taking it off the bike and then had the audacity to tuck the wires back under the seat pan and zip tie it to the pan! SO, does anyone know where I can download a wiring diagram for the internal wiring for the Harley Hammock seat PN 52000004A? I have all of the connectors but ned to know where the red and black wires og in the connector

Maybe you can see in this picture were the red and black wires go

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope. Thanks for the effort, but the wires were pulled out of the connector inside the seat, not at the connector that connects under the seat. Does that make sense? I have to take the seat cover off to access the electrical connector block where the power wires attach to the seat itself.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nope. Thanks for the effort, but the wires were pulled out of the connector inside the seat, not at the connector that connects under the seat. Does that make sense? I have to take the seat cover off to access the electrical connector block where the power wires attach to the seat itself.
I would make the dealer fix it. They broke it! I would be in the service mgr’s office asking what he was going to do about it

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Maybe a call to Mean City Cycles could get you the info, they modify HD seats and might have an answer for you.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I damn sure would not go back to that dealership. I can't believe they actually tried to hide the screw up. I never would trust them again. That is why i do all my work, can't trust the dealerships anymore. I have a Yamaha Warrior that i have done all the work that's been done to it and my RG.

Reactions: BlueBagger12

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Maybe a call to Mean City Cycles could get you the info, they modify HD seats and might have an answer for you.
I don’t think Mean City will touch a hammock seat though. I’d heard they wouldn’t but called them anyway just to see if they’d try anything to drop me down a little on my heated hammock. The person I talked to just said they wouldn’t do anything w a hammock. Basically I think the sling construction prohibits them doing much to it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would make the dealer fix it. They broke it! I would be in the service mgr’s office asking what he was going to do about it
While I agree with you Tim, it's hard to prove that they f'd it up. I agree though that this particular dealership will never get any service work from me again. I don't think it's the dealers fault, but it totally is on the tech that hid his f' up. It truly is just a matter of finding out which of 4 holes in the connector the wires go to but it seems that the internal wiring diagram for this particular seat is some kind of state secret! I can't find the wiring diagram anywhere!

If someone on this forum has ever recovered on of these, I'd appreciate a picture of the wiring harness under the seat foam when the cover is off. Maybe then I can figure it out.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
While I agree with you Tim, it's hard to prove that they f'd it up. I agree though that this particular dealership will never get any service work from me again. I don't think it's the dealers fault, but it totally is on the tech that hid his f' up. It truly is just a matter of finding out which of 4 holes in the connector the wires go to but it seems that the internal wiring diagram for this particular seat is some kind of state secret! I can't find the wiring diagram anywhere!

If someone on this forum has ever recovered on of these, I'd appreciate a picture of the wiring harness under the seat foam when the cover is off. Maybe then I can figure it out.
The dealership should be informed so they know. If you approach it in a way that you know you can't prove it, but want them to know why you will not be going back, then they can at least question the tech and see what happens. If you don't tell them you are letting that tech victimize others.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
sfcusaret2004, are the wires pulled out of both of the plugs?
If not, just plug the new one into the old one with the wires and see where the black and red wires go.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Could you take it apart and see where they connect to? Maybe some of the insulation is still in there and you can at least know where "one" goes.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, Let me try again to explain this.
On the left side of the seat is a controller with two rocker switches, one for the driver heat and one for the passenger heat.

Each switch has 3 positions, High, low, and off.

Under the seat cover (leather/ vinyl whatever,)there is a wiring block with five connectors
One connector for the drivers rocker switch (1) to the drivers heating element (2),

one connector for the passenger rocker switch (3) to the passenger heating element (4)

And a common connector for the power and ground wires to the bike recepticle.

Each of these connectors has 6 holes for the pins from and to each connector.the heating element and the rocker switches all have every hole filled with a pin/wire EXCEPT the connector that the power /ground wire plugs into. It has 2 of the 6 holes plugged with rubber pins leaving 4 holes available to choose from to put the loose pins from the power cable back into.

I'll take pictures the next time I have the seat off to show you what a cluster this is. I just need to know which hole to place the black wire into and which hole to put the red wire into to power the seat, BUT I'm not going to just wing it Because I don't want to short out the seat or blow a fuse on the bike.

It really shouldn't be this difficult!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Ok, Let me try again to explain this.
On the left side of the seat is a controller with two rocker switches, one for the driver heat and one for the passenger heat.

Each switch has 3 positions, High, low, and off.

Under the seat cover (leather/ vinyl whatever,)there is a wiring block with five connectors
One connector for the drivers rocker switch (1) to the drivers heating element (2),

one connector for the passenger rocker switch (3) to the passenger heating element (4)

And a common connector for the power and ground wires to the bike recepticle.

Each of these connectors has 6 holes for the pins from and to each connector.the heating element and the rocker switches all have every hole filled with a pin/wire EXCEPT the connector that the power /ground wire plugs into. It has 2 of the 6 holes plugged with rubber pins leaving 4 holes available to choose from to put the loose pins from the power cable back into.

I'll take pictures the next time I have the seat off to show you what a cluster this is. I just need to know which hole to place the black wire into and which hole to put the red wire into to power the seat, BUT I'm not going to just wing it Because I don't want to short out the seat or blow a fuse on the bike.

It really shouldn't be this difficult!
Can you see the traces on the wiring block that connect the input pins to the switch's pins and to the heating elements?

Another approach would be to contact Harley Davidson customer support and see if they can put you in touch with the seat maker. You might have to communicate over email since the seat maker might not speak English. :wink:

You could experiment with a 9 volt battery with reduced risk of damaging seat and no risk to the bike. Especially if the switches light up.

I know this is too late for you, but when I have had to put the bikes in the shop for warranty or recall work I always put the OEM seat back on to keep shit like this from happening.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
sfcusaret2004, I've searched the Good Old Internet hoping to find an answer for you and came up with this information that was listed by Allen of Mean City Cycles.
The Check Corp is who makes Harley's heating units 1-800-927-6787.
Maybe a call to them will get you the answers you need.
I hope this helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can you see the traces on the wiring block that connect the input pins to the switch's pins and to the heating elements?

NOPE, NO WAY TO TELL

Another approach would be to contact Harley Davidson customer support and see if they can put you in touch with the seat maker. You might have to communicate over email since the seat maker might not speak English. :wink:

CONTACTED THEM YESTERDAY, NO REPLY AS OF YET.

You could experiment with a 9 volt battery with reduced risk of damaging seat and no risk to the bike. Especially if the switches light up.

SWITCHES ARE NOT LIGHTED, SO DON'T KNOW HOW THIS WOULD WORK

I know this is too late for you, but when I have had to put the bikes in the shop for warranty or recall work I always put the OEM seat back on to keep shit like this from happening.

gOT RID OF TEH OEM SEAT YEARS AGO!
All good ideas.

·
Registered
820 Posts
won't help you much, but it's what i had to deal with. i have a mean city seat that i bought second hand, and it has a diff plug on it than the harley one. i called them they gave me check co. number, i called them they seamed like they would help me was going to have a tech call me back but no one ever did. and they won't answ. my emails now. so i just replaced it with a generic plug. direct to the battery.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah, screw that, call the mother land and bitch to customer service. They may help you out. Your running a Harley seat and you had the work done at a dealership...MAY.... help you out. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So let's see if I can add pictures to this situation, The first picture shows the seat, bottoms up, and the power cable as it was ripped out with pins still attached. Second picture shows the receptacle with the 2 black plugs that the power cable is supposed to go into, just don't know which of the four remaining holes to put either wire! the third picture shows the controller with all four connectors in place, 1 for each heat switch and one for both heating elements and the fourth for the power cable. and the last picture shows a side view of the power connector with an i and an o but the markings are over the holes with the plugs!

Anyone with a heated hammock seat want to pull the cover off and take a picture so I can get this back in service before fall?!? the cover goes right back on with a staple gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
So let's see if I can add pictures to this situation, The first picture shows the seat, bottoms up, and the power cable as it was ripped out with pins still attached. Second picture shows the receptacle with the 2 black plugs that the power cable is supposed to go into, just don't know which of the four remaining holes to put either wire! the third picture shows the controller with all four connectors in place, 1 for each heat switch and one for both heating elements and the fourth for the power cable. and the last picture shows a side view of the power connector with an i and an o but the markings are over the holes with the plugs!

Anyone with a heated hammock seat want to pull the cover off and take a picture so I can get this back in service before fall?!? the cover goes right back on with a staple gun.
Based on the photos, the red wire goes in the black plug with "1" label and the black wire goes in the black plug with the "0" label. Someone used binary to label the power.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts