Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past I did my own motor mods, most recently a stage 3 on a 103. But when I bought my new blacked out 2020 RGL, I decided to go the dealer route on my stage 2 to keep my warranty alive. Had the dealer install a stage 2 torque kit with heavy breather, free flow exhaust, and wideband fuel sensors with the auto tune module. Install was by their "master mechanic". Picked up the bike and all seemed ok except for some decel popping. But turns out the mechanic dented my right muffler during the install, so they ordered a replacement. Took it back for installation after the one they ordered arrived. Picked it up and it ran like crap. Got home and found out they ordered and installed the wrong size muffler! They had a 2.5 inch SE muffler on my 2.25 inch free flow head pipe. Could see a huge gap and air leak between the clamp and pipe! Additionally, the SE muffler they ordered did not match the free flow SE muffler on the other side (not even close). Made a bit of a scene with the service manager asking how they could make such a major error and then not even test it before sending it out the door. Had them order the correct one. Returned when it arrived but I would not let them install it. Turns out they couldn't anyways because they had no 2.25" clamps. Picked up the replacement muffler and a week later the correct clamp and installed it myself.

So, all good, correct? Not even close. The decel popping continued, although slightly better with the correct muffler and clamp on. So began checking all the exhaust clamps. Left muffler clamp was torqued to only 5 ft lbs, muffler was not all the way on the crossover pipe, and only half of the clamp was over the muffler. Then checked the crossover pipe. That one was never tightened at all, and could be rotated by hand. Re-torqued everything to specs. Popping much, much better though still have some minor popping. SInce they never touched the throttle body I assume the manifold bolts are tight. But now wondering about the head pipe nuts. I checked the lower rear nut and it was OK, but the upper rear and both front nuts are a real PIA to get to. But I can see I'm going to have to check all of them.

After all this I now have real concerns about the stage 2 they did. The same "mechanic" did all of the work on the bike, including the muffler reinstallation. Did he adjust the lash correctly? Did he Loctite the threads on the adjustable pushrods? Did he install the new cam bearings correctly? Does he know how to correctly use a torque wrench? So far it runs fine and there doesn't seem to be any excessive lifter or valve noise, but I can see that on some rainy day I'll be rechecking the lash and probably replacing the lifters while I'm in there.

I hope your local Harley dealer mechanic is more capable and careful than this bozo. But I do have friends who suffered similar mishaps at Harley dealers. One idiot even managed to install a belt guard upside down on a Classic! Another tightened a rear wheel on a Glide so much after a tire change that it cracked the wheel hub! So if you have your dealer work on your bike you may want to double check the work before you leave, just in case.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Reap what you sew. Pressure on mechanics to follow job time manual so dealer can make money, low pay to make a greater profit for dealer, turning dealers into boutiques through pressure and rules by MOCO mothership…..it all leads back to profit for those making decisions, etc. This is just part of why service is what it is.

·
Super Moderator
4,316 Posts
I’ve been doing most of the routine maintenance and modifications to both bikes in the garage for over a decade now. This done with very limited knowledge and mechanical skills to begin with. I’ve learned a lot from this Forum and gathered the necessary tools over the years. Still nowhere near where I’d like to be but I’ve saved a ton of money and grief experienced by the OP. Glad to hear you figured it all out on your own. There’s plenty of help here if someone runs into issues while willing to make certain the work that’s done to your satisfaction.

Reactions: Mike U and Jarrell

·
Registered
2021 roadglide cvo, black hole.
136 Posts
Two hogs
Your paying good hard earned money at the dealership, your bike was over 30k and your stage 2 was a high stack of 100 dollar bills. The service manager is supposed to make sure that ever bike that leaves the dealership is perfect. Not only is there techs rushing through there work you have a service manager that needs to get off his ass and run a productive shop.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Harley dealers can't keep decent mechanics because they don't want to pay the good ones what they are worth. So they go elsewhere. Either into a different field or to a shop that will pay them. Not to mention the times we are in right now where people would rather sit at home and collect unemployment. These mechanics are no different than people working most other jobs. They are only as good as what they are willing to put into it. A lot of people are complacent with getting by doing the bare minimum and very few go the extra mile to do the job right. It's a bad time in the HD world and many other places right now. Hell... dealerships don't even have much of an inventory right now to even sell bikes so it's hard to pay any employee's. What you describe is really hard to picture based on what I saw working in a service department but I've seen enough at other places to know that it happens way more than it needs to. So frustrating to deal with shit like that.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The local dealer here can't even order a part correctly, I am pretty sure they won't be doing any mechanical work on my stuff.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,316 Posts
Brings to mind a quote…”what if we spend money training them and then they leave”…..the reply to which is “imagine if we don‘t spend money to train them and they stay”
This hit home with me. I’ve been at the same Company for nearly 30 years. Most of which I’ve been a Chemical Reactor Operator. There use to be a lot of time spent in training personnel in different departments. Now it’s more “are they ready to be on their own yet?” Those that have been with the Company for decades are retiring leaving with the knowledge before being replaced. JMO but the Company doesn’t want to pay the ones with needed experience nor are they patient with a new hire before trusting them to know WTF they’re doing. I think this is the same in most industries. That and the younger generation don’t have the core work values for the most part.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
This hit home with me. I’ve been at the same Company for nearly 30 years. Most of which I’ve been a Chemical Reactor Operator. There use to be a lot of time spent in training personnel in different departments. Now it’s more “are they ready to be on their own yet?” Those that have been with the Company for decades are retiring leaving with the knowledge before being replaced. JMO but the Company doesn’t want to pay the ones with needed experience nor are they patient with a new hire before trusting them to know WTF they’re doing. I think this is the same in most industries. That and the younger generation don’t have the core work values for the most part.
This runs RAMPANT in the Mfg Industry ....one that I do a ton of work with - They have coined it "Tribal Knowledge" and those retiring are taking it with them out the door which leads to mistakes, incidents, accidents and even deaths - Its on the mind of every COO in the Industry yet some many seldom do a thing to address - They roll the dice and that can be an expensive "Crap Out".....just ask the Co that controlled the Continental Pipeline that got hacked or the families of those lost in the Condo Bldg Collapse of S Fla - Both knew for YEARS there was an issue but just kept kicking the can down the line....eventually that chicken comes home to roost

·
Super Moderator
4,316 Posts
This runs RAMPANT in the Mfg Industry ....one that I do a ton of work with - They have coined it "Tribal Knowledge" and those retiring are taking it with them out the door which leads to mistakes, incidents, accidents and even deaths - Its on the mind of every COO in the Industry yet some many seldom do a thing to address - They roll the dice and that can be an expensive "Crap Out".....just ask the Co that controlled the Continental Pipeline that got hacked or the families of those lost in the Condo Bldg Collapse of S Fla - Both knew for YEARS there was an issue but just kept kicking the can down the line....eventually that chicken comes home to roost
Gleeming this “Tribal Knowledge” was the exact words for my Managers mouth a few years ago. Unfortunately that’s not happening. You hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I won’t let the dealer touch my bike. Told them I was going to install my detach kit and said it wouldn’t be warrantied and said screw it, was part of the deal when I bought it. First time I removed the tour pack my fender had gouges from them installing it and not hitting the docking hardware. Never again. They did say they would repaint my fender but screw that

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I won’t let the dealer touch my bike. Told them I was going to install my detach kit and said it wouldn’t be warrantied and said screw it, was part of the deal when I bought it. First time I removed the tour pack my fender had gouges from them installing it and not hitting the docking hardware. Never again. They did say they would repaint my fender but screw that
Working on your own bike does not violate any warranty. They are saying that the detach kit itself won't be covered as part of the bike warranty, but there is really nothing to warranty on a detach kit. Just them trying to scare you into giving them more money.

The only thing I let the dealer do were a couple recalls, a warranty claim, and replacing the brake fluid because of the ABS.

·
Super Moderator
9,762 Posts
My Glide has never been to A Dealer or Indy for any work. I do it All Myself so if something goes wrrrrrongggg I have no one to blame but Me.
I guess I am fortunate enough to have the mechanical ability and tools to fix most anything from years of experience and working with people willing to teach me because I wanted to learn.
As has been stated before not only are senior workers retiring with their knowledge in most every field but young people today think they know everything and won’t admit when they make a mistake. This probably goes back to when they played sports and there were no losers and everyone got a trophy. Then We wonder why We are in “The Mess” We are in nowadays.
Mike U.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
@Mike U ^^THAT^^
Couldn't give it 2 thumbs up, instead..... (y) (y) (y)

Reactions: DanHappy and Mike U

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
My Glide has never been to A Dealer or Indy for any work. I do it All Myself so if something goes wrrrrrongggg I have no one to blame but Me.
I guess I am fortunate enough to have the mechanical ability and tools to fix most anything from years of experience and working with people willing to teach me because I wanted to learn.
As has been stated before not only are senior workers retiring with their knowledge in most every field but young people today think they know everything and won’t admit when they make a mistake. This probably goes back to when they played sports and there were no losers and everyone got a trophy. Then We wonder why We are in “The Mess” We are in nowadays.
Mike U.
...and even the medical profession is full of people willing to forgo science to not deviate from the peer pressure to tow the line big pharma presents. It used to be where drugs were a last resort, to now they are the first line. "Mr. twowheeladdict, your bad cholesterol is 3 points high and so is your glucose. Even though your ratios are good, I want you to take these prescriptions and we will check you again in 3 months." No mention of losing 50 lbs and then see where we are at. Just take these prescriptions with side effects outweighing the benefits for someone just out of range.
Our current society has the medical professionals afraid to speak out against the pressure, because those that do get ostracized.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree that old timers are retiring with all that knowledge without giving it to the younger generation. Where I work the old timers straight up refuse to teach the younger people because if they do then they lose their overtime for jobs only they know. So it isn't just a younger generation unwilling to learn.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I agree that old timers are retiring with all that knowledge without giving it to the younger generation. Where I work the old timers straight up refuse to teach the younger people because if they do then they lose their overtime for jobs only they know. So it isn't just a younger generation unwilling to learn.
That's a management issue. Why should I train my replacement and devalue myself? What is in it for me? Back when companies had pensions you needed the company to stay healthy while you are in retirement. They took away the pensions and the incentive to keep the company going. Many of my coworkers retire and then come right back to work making independent contractor pay. That is a very good incentive not to pass on the knowledge to the younger generation.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts